“My Xfinity remote not working since yesterday. I tried various methods but had no luck so far. Can someone tell me how to fix it? Thanks in advance”.
The above is a question extracted from a help forum. You are reading this article probably because that question relates to you in some way or another. Basically, Xfinity is a brand name used by Comcast Cable Communications. Consumer cable televisions, telephone services, internet, wireless services, etc. are among the services provided by this vendor.
In addition to that, they do provide different types of remotes for different TV sets. Nevertheless, we have noticed that many individuals say their ‘Xfinity remote not working‘ due to some reason. As per the records, the issues are related to both old and new remotes.
Xfinity remote not working – the reasons behind it
We have done a considerable amount of research about this issue. We went through various forums, read customer reviews, user comments, etc. to get a general idea about the issue. That is in addition to the analysis we did on the technical specifications of this product. Also, we had a good look at the strategies they used when their ‘Xfinity remote not working.’
After going through all that information, we learned that there could be multiple reasons behind this issue. Mentioned below are those reasons that can prevent your Xfinity remote from working as expected. Having a general idea about the issue can be handy for any user before finding solutions.
01. An issue with the remote program
After purchasing a new remote, you will have to program it, so it should work with the box. If you don’t make a connection between those two devices, the remote cannot send any command.
02. An issue with the device itself or the app
In some instances, the device can malfunction, or there can be a communication issue related to the app. In that case, you will have to reset it. And, this is considered to be a common issue for both trade name remotes provided by the vendor. Also, there were some instances reported where the Comcast remotes have started to malfunction.
03. The batteries of the device are dead
Interestingly, this is a pretty common issue among those who use Xfinity remote devices. The batteries on the devices can go dead at some point and stop powering the remote. As a result, it will not send any commands to the TV box even if it is programmed.
04. Physical damage to the device
Another reason behind this issue is a physical malfunction. That means, your Xfinity remote can prevent from functioning properly due to physical damage occurred. Broken hardware cannot be fixed by yourself in pretty much all the cases. In that case, the only option is to replace the broken hardware.
So, those are the potential causes to consider if your ‘Xfinity remote not working.’ When it comes to fixing this issue, you should make sure a couple of things beforehand. That means you should check if the batteries have enough power, and there is no hardware damage. After checking those two aspects, you can move to the fixes, which we have listed below.
Fix 1: Reset your remote and program it to fix ‘Xfinity Remote Not Working’
Have you purchased a new remote or a new TV box? If so, it is compulsory to program the remote so it will work with the TV box. However, if you have already programmed it and returned an error, you should reset it and reprogram it. In the majority of cases, resetting and reprogramming the device works. If you want to try this fix out, you can follow the steps mentioned below and get it done. Please note that the steps may vary slightly depending on the model of Xfinity remote.
Besides, click here to know more about Peel Remote and how to fix the issue of An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host easily.
01. For XR 15 Remote
If you are using an Xfinity XR 15 remote, you should follow the steps below to fix Xfinity remote not working.
- Hold “i” and “Xfinity” buttons simultaneously.
- Now, you will see a code appearing on the TV screen.
- You should insert that code through the remote. Wait for some time to get a response.
- The TV set will ask for verification. In that case, you should press the OK button on the remote and choose “Yes.”
- You will see the steps on the TV screen now. Those instructions will tell you which buttons to press and the code.
- Then, you should press the volume key and see if it works as expected.
- If the device works, you can press OK and choose the option called “All Set.”
Is the device already programmed or paired with a different TV? If that is the case with you, follow the steps below to get it to reset.
- Press and hold both “A” + “D” buttons on your remote.
- Then, you will see the light on the remote turns into green color.
- You can then press 9 – 8 – 1.
- Then, you should program it once again with the box.
02. For Xfinity XR 11 Remote
Here’s how to reset the Xfinity XR 11 Remote device to fix Xfinity remote not working and get it back to normal mode.
- You should press and hold the button labeled “Setup.” When you press and hold it, the red-color light will turn into green.
- Once you see that, just press 9 – 8 – 1, if that code doesn’t work, you should try 9 – 9 – 1. That is because some models require that code.
- Also, you can try to reset the remote and program it once again.
- Now, press and hold the button labeled “Setup” and you should see the red light turns into green.
- Now, press the button labeled “A.”
Fix 2: Reset your Xfinity box if your ‘Xfinity remote not working’
If you have tried all above methods & you are yet to succeed, don’t worry. There is another method to get it fixed. In this fix, we reset your Xfinity box instead of the remote. We assume that there is something wrong with the Xfinity box, and it doesn’t communicate with your remote. Like with the remote, there are two ways to fix reset your Xfinity box. In fact, resetting the Xfinity remote box is easier than resetting the Xfinity remote. Mentioned below are those two options for your reference.
You can use the physical buttons on the Xfinity box to reset it quickly. All you have to do is to press and hold the button labeled “Reset.” Just make sure that you hold the buttons at least for 5 seconds without leaving any space.
02. Reset the Xfinity box using the App to fix ‘Xfinity Remote Not Working’
You already know that there is a special app called “Xfinity My Account” to manage your account. You can use that app to reset your Xfinity box easily. But be sure to use the “Long Reset” on the app instead of the “Short Reset.”
So, those are the fixes you can try if your ‘Xfinity remote not working.’ According to the experience we had, at least one of the above fixes should work. If you have other questions related to Xfinity, please let us know in the comments section below.