Weather apps aren’t an uncommon occurrence. iPhones have a weather tracking app installed by default, and the latest versions of Windows have built-in weather features that use your location. WunderMap is a bit different from most of the other apps out there though. When it comes to the level of detail that this app displays, it’s on a completely different level compared to the others. WunderMap, now known as Weather Underground, is available as an online application. However, it can also be found on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. After you’ve got the app open on your computer or smartphone, in this WunderMap review you’ll get anything you need to know about it.
WunderMap Review – What is WunderMap?
At first glance, it may just seem like another weather app, but if you take a deeper look into the vivid detailing that the app provides us with, it’s clearly superior to other apps. The website version of it is just as detailed!
First, the map covers the whole world, offering plenty of weather-related details wherever you are. Weather forecasts, live weather updates, and wind direction are just the tip of what you’ll find out in this WunderMap review, but there’s plenty more.
The website and application collect weather data from weather stations all across the globe. After analyzing this data, the application then brings it together in an eye-catching graphic. That’s how the informative map is created, so you can be sure that the information is accurate.
Key Features of WunderMap
Kicking off with the nitty gritty of this app, here are some of the core features it includes.
- Weather Stations. This feature is on by default. Weather stations are used to capture all of the data that weather apps display. Temperature, pollen count, wind strength, and everything else you can think of. WunderMap pins all weather stations. By clicking on one of the stations’ pins you can see the most recent data that they reported.
- Satellite. Enabling the satellite feature adds clouds to the map. These clouds are shown using a live satellite feed, making it possible to see how cloudy it is in a certain area.
- Humidity & Precipitation. These features are separate but are both useful. Enabling the humidity displays the humidity in degrees as a percentage (the percentage of moisture in the air).
- Windstream. One of the coolest features of WunderMap is the Windstream feature. Enabling this adds a visual overlay to the map. The moving dots show the direction that the wind is blowing, and the color of the dot emphasizes how strong the winds are.
- Weather Tracking. Given that all of the weather data this app collects, it’s no surprise that you can rewind the map. Doing this will show you all of the information from earlier in the day. However, you can only go back a few hours in time.
- Save Settings. If you become a regular user, then you can save your settings. Not only can you favorite the place you live, but you can save your map settings too.
Like we said before, you can use this application anywhere in the world. That paired with the fact that it has the features above (and a lot more) make it undoubtedly one of the top weather apps out there. Continue WunderMap review with its pros.
- Collects data from over 180,000 weather stations that are located all over the world
- As this app collects data from so many places, you can be certain that it is accurate
- Completely free to use for anyone
- Available as a smartphone application or you can access it via the website
- Easy to understand all of the details that are shown on the map
- Displays weather details such as temperature, wind speeds, humidity, and cloudiness
- Can show weather details from earlier in the day
- There is a menu which explains all of the information displayed on the map
- Although WunderMap is free to use, the website has advertisements on it
- You’re only able to see weather details from a few hours earlier, not days or weeks earlier
If we weigh the pros and the cons, it’s clear that the pros come out on top. There’s not much to a flaw when it comes to WunderMap, and overall, it’s very easy to use.
Also, click here to find out how to Set Up CamScanner for PC with ease.
WunderMap Review – How to Use WunderMap
Before we go ahead with the other content in WunderMap review and look at the other weather apps you can choose from, here’s how you can use WunderMap to find out weather information about the area you live in.
#1 – Start by going to the Weather Underground website.
#2 – Click on “Maps & Radar” at the top of the homepage and select “WunderMap”.
#3 – Once the interactive map loads, click the search bar at the top and enter the place you want to check.
Note: Alternatively, click “Find Nearest Location” and the map will use your current location.
#4 – Your location will now appear on the map, and you can view all of the weather information.
In just a few seconds you can find out the weather forecast and a lot of other helpful data too. But we understand that this might not be everyone’s preferable solution; there are some others.
About the App Versions
Smartphone apps are often more convenient than web solutions. If you’re rushing around in the morning and want to check if it’s going to rain later, it’s quicker to check your phone than it is to turn on your computer. There is a WunderMap app available for iPhones and Android smartphones.
Based on our experience and some app reviews, here’s what we found out:
- Both applications have a sleek and easy-to-navigate interface
- All of the weather information is displayed in an easily readable manner (rather than squashed together!)
- Just like the website, the apps are free to use
- You can install the app on your Apple Watch too
- Users can have the app send notifications if there are severe weather conditions
- Newer versions of the iOS app are known to have long loading speeds
Receiving notifications when severe weather is on its way is a fantastic feature. That alone makes the app great. But also, be aware of the slow loading speeds, which can be frustrating.
If after reading this WunderMap review you want to try something else, you’re in luck. Here are a few of the other weather monitoring applications to check out.
AccuWeather is also available online and as a smartphone app. Although it’s free to use, you can choose to have a premium subscription. This gives you access to:
- Up to 20 years of weather data
- 14 days of weather forecasting split into hourly forecasts
- Weather alarms
- Access to weather analysis from professionals
If you don’t decide to subscribe to the premium service, there is still plenty of features available. Everyone has access to the following features:
- Forecast information for areas worldwide (any country, any city)
- Allergy tracking in your area
- Access to weather information on iOS, Android, and Windows devices
There’s no need for you to pay for a weather app. With one of the free apps or the website, AccuWeather gives you plenty of weather data.
Another fantastic alternative worth mentioning is DarkSky. You can grab it on the Google Play Store, Apple App Store, or use it on their website.
- Enter your address or have the site detect your location to display local weather forecasts
- The interactive map makes it easy to assess your weather information
- View weather forecasts for up to 7 days in the future, and for months in the past
- Find information including temperature, air pressure, humidity, and wind speed
All 3 of the weather forecasting apps that we’ve shown in this WunderMap review are great choices; there’s no doubt about it.
To Conclude for WunderMap review:
Hopefully, by reading this WunderMap review, you’ll be able to determine if this weather app includes all of the features you’re looking for. If it isn’t then perhaps one of the alternatives we mentioned can be more useful. Weather apps can be incredibly helpful. For some people, they’re a great way of checking if they should wear a raincoat to work today. Others might want to see what the pollen count is and prevent their allergies. One thing’s for sure – WunderMap is as impressive as it gets.