Updates are a crucial aspect of any operating system. With every update, new advancements are introduced, and potential bugs are fixed. In addition to that, every OS update strengthens the overall security of the platform. Microsoft Windows is such an operating system that offers frequent updates to assure a better user experience. In general, Windows updates are supposed to go smoothly. However, some users say that they experience Windows update error 0x800705b4 when they opt to get this update.
What exactly is Windows update error 0x800705b4?
The latest version of the Windows operating system is Windows 10. It is considered to be a highly user-friendly smoothly functioning operating system. Windows Update is one of the most impressive features associated with Windows 10. However, like all the other previous Windows operating systems, Windows 10 comes with some errors. Windows update error 0x800705b4 error is one of those issues associated with it.
If the operating system of your computer is not getting updated, you will notice this error. When the system opts to update, Windows update error 0x800705b4 will appear, and the process will hold. In addition to that, you will be notified that the update you just attempted is corrupted.
If you have encountered such an issue, don’t worry and you are not alone at all. This issue is reported by plenty of users, and therefore, it can be considered as a common issue. Also, fixing Windows update error 0x800705b4 is fairly easy, so you shouldn’t worry about it. We will explain how to get rid of this issue in the next section of our article.
Fixing Windows update error 0x800705b4
In this section of our article, we intend to explain six solutions to address Windows update error 0x800705b4.
01. Use Windows Update Troubleshooter
When it comes to Windows update error 0x800705b4, think of the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It is a built-in tool that comes with your Windows 10 system so there shouldn’t be any doubt. In fact, Windows Update Troubleshooter is capable of identifying the issue automatically and treat it accordingly. Mentioned below are the steps you should follow to get rid of it.
- Go to the desktop and find Cortana. This option allows you to type the text ‘Troubleshoot.’
- You will now see a pop-up menu so you can find a troubleshooting option. Just click on it.
- Once the respective option is clicked, you can see a different page. Click on the option labeled ‘View All.’
- You will see a list coming out, and you should click on the option called ‘Windows Update.’
- Now, click on the option called ‘Advanced‘ and click on it.
- After that, you should click on ‘Run as Administrator.’
- Click on ‘Next,’ and the troubleshooter will detect the issue as well as the solution.
- Now, you should go back to Windows Update and see if the respective error is resolved.
02. Reconfigure the updating settings of Windows to fix Windows Update Error 0x800705b4
Windows update error 0x800705b4 may appear if there is something wrong with Windows Update. In that case, the solution would be to change the update settings and make it work. Here’s how to do it.
- Go to Cortana once again and type the text ‘Windows Update‘. From the options it brings up, you should select the option called ‘Check for Updates.’
- You will see another panel in this. You should find the option called ‘Advanced Options‘ in it and click on it.
- Now, you should uncheck the option called “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.”
- Now, you will see that the computer is prompting you to restart it. Just restart to apply these changes.
- Now, you should go to Windows Update Settings for one last time and click on ‘Check for Updates.‘ However, sometimes, you may have to do the same a couple of times. This process is required to get the updates done completely. After the computer gets all the updates installed, you will get a notification telling that the system is up-to-date.
- Now, check the box that says ‘Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.’
- Go to the option ‘Check for Updates‘ once more. This time, the updates should be installed smoothly.
03. Get rid of corrupted files to fix Windows Update Error 0x800705b4
Another option you can try is to delete the related files that are corrupted. Therefore, deleting these files might be the solution to fix Windows update error 0x800705b4. Mentioned below are the steps to do so.
- Go to the ‘Services‘ option located on the menu. To get this, you should open Cortana and type the services.
- Check for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Then, you should right-click on the same and choose ‘Stop.’
- Thereafter, right-click on the option called ‘Windows Update‘ and select ‘Stop.’
- Now, you should open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.
- Now, you will see several files within the folder. You will have to delete all of them.
- That’s it. You may check if the update works now.
04. Perform SFC and DISM Scans to Fix Windows Update Error 0x800705b4
Windows update error 0x800705b4 can also appear due to corrupted files. To fix this issue, you will have to perform SFC and DISM scans. Let’s see how to do it.
- Press the Windows key and X key at once on your keyboard. You should then choose the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- Many of the individuals are not that familiar with CMD (command prompt), however. But you can simply type the text ‘sfc/scannow‘ (without inverted commas).
- Then, hit the Enter key on the keyboard so the computer will run it.
- You should allow your computer to perform the scan and it will take some time. You will see a notification once the issue is resolved.
- If the SFC scan doesn’t fix the issue, you should try the option DISM scan. In order to get it done, open the CMD once again. Then, type the path DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. Hit enter to make the computer to run the command.
05. Activate Windows Defender Service
There are some services that help to download the updates. Windows Defender Service is such a service. If such service doesn’t run, Windows update error 0x800705b4 will occur. The solution for that is to enable the same.
- Open run command by hitting the Windows key and R key on the keyboard at once. Then, you should type services.msc and hit enter.
- It will open up the ‘Services‘ window. Search for the option called ‘Windows Defender Antivirus Service‘ and ‘Windows Defender Firewall.’ Double-click on each of these options and check if they run currently.
- If you don’t see those services are running, you should click on the ‘Start‘ button. Select ‘Automatic‘ from the ‘Startup Type.’
- Click on ‘OK‘ to apply the settings.
06. Perform a Windows Update components reset to fix Windows Update Error 0x800705b4
Windows update error 0x800705b4 can also occur due to a corrupted update as well. So, you may give it a try to reset the update components and see if the issue is resolved.
- Go to the start menu and choose the command prompt as admin.
- You should type the following commands in Command Prompt and hit enter.
- onet stop bits
- onet stop wuauserv
- onet stop appidsvc
- onet stop cryptsvc.
- This process will stop their respective services. Then, you will have to erase some files once it is done.
- To do that you should enter the following command.
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
- Then, type in the following command as well.
- cd /d %windir%\system32
- You should now restart BITS files by entering the commands we have mentioned below.
- oregsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
- oregsvr32.exe ole32.dll
- oregsvr32.exe shell32.dll
- oregsvr32.exe initpki.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wups.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wups2.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
- oregsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
- oregsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
- oregsvr32.exe muweb.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- oregsvr32.exe atl.dll
- oregsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
- oregsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
- oregsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
- oregsvr32.exe browseui.dll
- oregsvr32.exe jscript.dll
- oregsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
- oregsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
- oregsvr32.exe msxml.dll
- oregsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
- oregsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
- oregsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
- oregsvr32.exe softpub.dll
- oregsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
- oregsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
- oregsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
- oregsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
- oregsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
- oregsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
- oregsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
- Now, restart Winsock by entering netsh Winsock
- Enter the following commands and start the commands that are stopped.
- onet start bits
- onet start wuauserv
- onet start appidsvc
- onet start cryptsvc
- Exit the command prompt and restart the computer.
At least one of the above solutions should fix Windows update error 0x800705b4 and get your computer working again. Please leave us a comment if you have any doubts.