A Vizio remote not working might cause a heap of annoyance when you want to watch your favorite TV show. You cannot even use any other remote for the time being as the Vizio remote can only run the TV through its Smart TV control features that let you navigate through various applications.
We are going to help your Vizio remote in this article. Be patient and read on.
What can be the reason for a Vizio remote not working?
The users have most reported the following causes:
- Empty batteries – These make the remote totally disabled.
- TV sensor hurdled – Any blockage might disallow the IR ray in reaching to the TV and thus lead to remote malfunctioning.
- Unstable power supply – A dirty power supply to the TV may also be one potential cause.
- Power residues in the remote or TV – These affect the transmission of the IR rays and thereby lead to the Vizio remote not working.
- Freezing remote memory – The issue may also be a result of the remote memory getting stuck at a particular device or point.
- Malfunctioning TV – This is a symbol of error from the other end.
- Clash of electronic radiations – A lot of them interrupts the remote’s IR ray from reaching the TV.
PS: click here to try the best Vizio TV remote app.
The necessary pre-check
If you are using an IR emitting remote, you must have to perform it before the fixing. You need to check if IR is successfully emitted by the remote or not, and an easy camera test can help you with that. A digital camera or a mobile camera can just do.
Now follow these steps:
- Open the camera and now look at the remote on the screen of the camera you are using.
2. Point the main end of the remote towards the lens of the camera.
3. Now press any button of the remote and hold it. Notice if you can see the light emitting out of the LED IR on the remote end.
4. Do this for every remote button, especially the Volume and Power button.
If no button works, then it is the Vizio remote not working. If some buttons can’t work, then you may just get the remote repaired.
If all remote buttons are good, then a proper fix is what your remote needs.
Methods for fixing the Vizio remote not working
We are giving you a list of tested methods that you can try to troubleshoot the remote.
1. Check the remote batteries to fix ‘Vizio Remote Not Working’
Batteries are the source of power for the remote to function. The two AAA or two AA batteries are most commonly used in the Vizio remotes. If the power of the battery gets drained out, rust covers the contact points, or carbon gets accumulated on the batteries, then it leads to the Vizio remote not working.
This is what you need to do with the batteries:
1. Take out the batteries. You can find them in a slot, usually on the back or the bottom o the front.
2. Look at the contact terminals or points and see if they have any rust or carbon coating over them. If yes, then clean them with an alcoholic solution.
3. Put these new refreshed batteries or another new pair into the remote. Ensure that you install them correctly into the negative and positive ends.
See if the method has recovered the Vizio remote not working.
2. Clean the TV sensor for any blockages
The TV remote might be getting troublesome because of its IR sensor getting blocked and unable to receive the IR signals thereby. The IR sensor is usually found to exist on the left or right side of the TV at the bottom. When the blockage happens, anything might have caused that include even the transparent objects. It can be something like the plastic film that covers the remote when it is newly shipped along with the TV.
Let’s see how to remove any blockage:
1. Find the IR sensor on the TV.
2. Move any object that might be lying right in the face of the TV.
3. Check for any visible smudges that might be on the sensor. You can easily clean these with any alcoholic solution.
4. Now direct the remote towards the sensor and then press on the Power button. Ensure that the distance between you and the TV is not more than 10 feet as the IR signals operate within a limited range only.
5. If you can turn the power of the TV on and off easily now, then the reason for the Vizio remote not working was a blockage in the IR signal.
Besides, let’s figure out how to fix the Nintendo switch dock not working issue effortlessly.
3. Use another power source to fix ‘Vizio Remote Not Working’
When the power quality that is being received by the device goes abnormal, it is known as ‘Dirty Power.’ Anything can cause this abnormality like low power factors, voltage variation, power surges, or frequency variations. If you plug the TV into a dirty power outlet, it may lead the Vizio remote to malfunction.
What you then need to do is:
- Plug the Vizio TV out from the main power source.
- Move the TV and plug it into a different power outlet, which will give normal power supply to the TV.
4. Power cycling the Vizio remote to fix ‘Vizio Remote Not Working’
It often happens that some power remains or power residue may get left in the Vizio remote, causing it to a malfunction or stop working altogether. For removing this issue, you can try power cycling the Vizio remote. It gets reset thereby, and the entire power residue, which was left back even when the remote was inactive, gets drained out.
The main purpose of power cycling is to ensure the complete resetting of all the configurations of the remote that was done temporarily. This fixes the error causing configurations, if any, in the remote. This also loosens those buttons of the Vizio remote not working that may have gotten wedged down out of your notice.
Let us tell you how to perform power cycling:
1. Take the batteries out of the remote.
2. Press the power button of the remote and then hold it down. This button is normally situated on the top of the body.
3. Now, after 5 seconds, let go of the power button. This will remove the entire power residue out of the remote.
4. Now one by one press all the buttons of the remote for a single time or two. This will loosen out any button that might have got stuck. Make sure to do this to every button to pluck out the pushed button, which got locked in that position only. If you try to input any other command, then the remote will not accept it.
5. Insert batteries back into the Vizio remote.
5. Power cycle your TV
Sometimes the problem may happen with the TV and not the remote. It may not respond to any input by the users like remote control trying to change the channels because it has got some fault in its parameters itself. You can solve this issue by power cycling your TV too. The process is the same as that of power cycling for a remote.
- Remove the TV plug out of the power outlet.
- Press the power button of the TV and then hold it down for around half a minute. This button is normally situated on the side of the body. This will remove the entire power residue out of the TV and solve all the other issues, if any.
- Wait for the next minute.
- Plug the TV again into the main power outlet and then turn it on.
- Use the remote control to operate the TV.
6. Clearing the memory by resetting the remote
This method is exclusively meant for the Universal Vizio remote not working. The Vizio Universal Remotes have reportedly faced the memory error may times where it got stuck at a particular stage or a device. This can be settled by performing a reset of these remotes. Once you clear the memory of the remote successfully, you will have to reconnect it to all the devices that you have used it before with, like in DVD players and others as the connection info will be lost in the process.
Let’s see how to do it:
1. Press the SETUP button of the remote and keep it held. This button is on the left side of the remote at the top.
2. When you see the LED beam blinking two times, then release the SET button. You can find this light near the top side of the Vizio remote.
3. Now you have to enter the reset code. Most of the Universal remotes of Vizio have reset codes like 977 or 981. If you are unsure about your remote’s reset code, then look for in the user manual.
4. The LED light will flash twice again. Once you see that happening, know that the memory of your Vizio remote has been wiped out successfully. It will even solve any firmware issue that might have been there. Now reconnect the remote with the TV.
5. For reconnecting, you have to be careful about the button that you need to press. The button that switches the remote for controlling the appliance is located at two places- one at the top and the other at the bottom. You have to press the one at the bottom of the remote for switching back the TV.
See if the Vizio remote not working is running again or not.
7. Electronic radiation interference
We use so many electronic gadgets at the same time, and each of them emits a different kind of radiation. Sometimes these radiations clash with each other, like they may be disrupting the IR signal. Such a phenomenon may also be causing the Vizio remote not working.
Let us tell you how to deal with this situation:
- Identify all the electronic devices that are on, even the normal lights too, and lying within the direct field of view range of the window of the remote sensor.
- You may need to either move these devices to someplace else or switch them off completely.
- You can also put masking tape or a Blue painter’s strip of tape on the sensor at the front side of the receiving end. The tape puts a hindrance between the IR and radiations of the other devices and allows only the remote signal to pass through.
8. Try remote application for mobile to fix ‘Vizio Remote Not Working’
There are so many mobile applications made to utilize a mobile device as a TV remote. You can try any of them, and they make the job very convenient.
If you were not able to fix the Vizio remote not working, then you may just get a new one or replace it with another Vizio remote as most of the remote models are compatible with most of the Vizio TVs. If no remote is working for the TV, then probably the TV is the culprit. You can also get your remote repaired for any damage.
We hope that the article helped you to get the issue fixed!