“Unlock iPhone to use accessories” is an error message related to devices that run on iOS. This message may appear when you connect your iPhone to a Mac or a PC through a USB cable. In fact, this error is not just related to iPhones, but it can be seen on iPads as well. In this guide, we will explain how to fix this error with easy methods.
What does it mean by “unlock iPhone to use accessories”?
The error “unlock iPhone to use accessories” appears because of a specific security feature integrated into Apple devices. This feature is introduced in order to prevent unauthorized access. Though it sounds like a very impressive thing, it can also become a pretty annoying feature as well. When you need to connect your iOS device quickly to a computer, this feature can be a burden.
If we are to explain this more, this error message appears because of the USB restricted mode. This feature was added to iOS devices with their iOS 11 version. From that point onwards, this USB restriction feature appeared in all the iOS versions. In fact, this restriction prevents your iOS device from connecting with a computer when it is locked. But the devices that are connected using lightning ports can be changed without transferring any sort of data. If you want to access the device through the computer or share any data (share data between iDevices,) it must be authorized. That means it demands you to unlock the device to connect the device with a computer and share data.
Why did Apple introduce this feature?
Many individuals wonder why this specific feature is introduced to iOS. Well, the answer is straightforward. It is all about the security of your data. Thanks to the advancements in the latest technology, a large range of threats pertaining to security have emerged. With the restriction feature introduced by Apple, your iOS device will not be able to connect to any computer. In order to connect, you should unlock the device using the device’s passcode, Touch ID, Face ID, etc. As long as the device is locked, you will see the “Unlock iPhone to use accessories” message. So, in a nutshell, the “unlock iPhone to use accessories” message appears due to a security feature.
How to get rid of the unlock iPhone to use accessories message?
In fact, disabling this security feature is not the most intelligent decision you should take. All you need is to unlock the device whenever you need to connect it to a computer through USB. So, we always recommend you to have this feature on. However, if you still want to disable it, mentioned below are instructions you should follow.
- First, you should open “Settings” on your device.
- Once you have done that, tap on the option labeled “Touch ID & Passcode” (or “Face ID & Passcode“).
- When you are on that screen, you will be able to see an option called “USB Accessories.” It is located at the bottom of the screen labeled “Allow Access When Locked.”
- Now, you should turn on the option called “USB Accessories.” Turning on this option will disable the restricted mode on your iPhone.
- After that, your device can be connected to any computer, no matter if it is locked. However, this is a pretty risky approach in terms of data security.
What we strongly suggest is that you keep the restriction on to prevent potential data theft. Also, if you have already turned it off, we strongly recommend you to turn it on after using it.
What you should understand is that “unlock iPhone to use accessories” is not necessarily an error. In fact, it is a warning message or an alert saying that your device has a restriction. It surely prevents your device from communicating with the computer through a USB cable. But, as mentioned before, it becomes more of an annoyance when you need to connect a device immediately. That is exactly why individuals want to prevent this message from appearing upon connecting to a computer. As mentioned before, preventing this message from popping up is not difficult at all. As long as you have the passcode, you can enter it and unlock the device with ease. After unlocking the device, the respective message will go away. Also, the connected peripheral or the computer will communicate with the device without any disturbance.
Consequences associated with fixing unlock iPhone to use accessories message
As mentioned in this article, fixing the “unlock iPhone to use accessories” message is possible. However, doing so will put your device at a new risk.
If you disable the mechanism that brings up this message, it leads to a security threat. That means your device is allowed to connect with any device without any warning. You don’t have to unlock the device if you disable the mechanism, in a nutshell.
If you disable this setting on your device, it will fix iPhone not charging through USB cable as well, (click to fix iPhone stuck on spinning wheel too).
What can you do if the screen passcode is forgotten?
You should know the passcode of the device to bypass the unlock iPhone to use accessories message. So, what if you have already forgotten your device’s screen passcode? After all, we all tend to forget our passcodes due to various reasons. So, what can you do about it? In this section, we offer a solution to that issue as well.
In this case, you will have to find a way to unlock the device without the passcode. The best option is to use a lock removal tool and bypass the lock screen. iMyFone LockWiper iPhone Unlock is the most successful tool you can rely on for this purpose. This tool comprises a very smart algorithm that can reset the iOS device’s passcode with simple steps. If you wonder How to unlock iPhone when the screen is broken or how to unlock iPhone without passwords, try this professional tool.
Before we get into the steps, here’s a list of the most notable features of iMyFone LockWiper.
- It can reset your iOS device’s screen passcode through a couple of steps.
- You can use it to remove Apple ID from any iOS device without any hassle.
- It can even reset the restriction passcode on any iOS device, even if you don’t have the original.
- LockWiper can bypass all the types of screen locks applied on your iOS device (more ways to bypass Android lock screen without reset for you) . For instance, it can unlock 4-digit passcode, Face ID, 6-Digit passcode, and Touch ID.
- iMyFone LockWiper is an all-inclusive program that comes with a very friendly user-interface. You can easily use it even if you don’t have prior knowledge about it.
If you have forgotten the passcode of the device and want to unlock it, follow the instructions below. Before you start unlocking the device, go to the official website of iMyFone and download LockWiper.
Then, get it installed to proceed to the steps below.
01. As the first step, you should connect the respective iPhone to the computer. Make sure that you use a compatible USB cable to establish the connection and avoid potential interruptions. Also, be sure to check if the device is detected by the computer as it is connected.
02. Now, you should open iMyFone LockWiper on the computer to see the home screen. Choose the option called “Unlock Screen Passcode,” which appears on the main interface of the application.
03. Once you have done that, be sure to click on the “Start” button. After that, iMyFone LockWiper will perform a search on the compatible firmware for the connected iOS device. When the respective firmware is found, you should click on the “Download” button so the downloading process will begin.
04. At the completion of the download, you should click on the option called “Start to Extract” as well. As a result, the software will begin to extract the downloaded firmware.
05. As the final step, you should click on the option called “Start to Unlock.” Then, when prompted, you should enter the code “000000“. That will confirm your action, and the unlocking process will begin. That’s it. In a moment, your iPhone’s screen will be unlocked to use accessories.
The Bottom Line
Well, that’s all about the issue of “unlock iPhone to use accessories.” Do you have any other questions related to this matter? Please let us know.