Have you come across the issue called ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable‘ and become frustrated? Don’t worry. We will show you how to overcome this issue for good and start using your hard drive again.
If you don’t know yet, ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’ issue occurs with external hard drives. This is not a very new issue. When you use an external hard drive, there is a possibility to experience such an issue sooner or later. In fact, this error emerges whenever Windows OS cannot read the external hard drive or access it. If you wonder what might cause this issue, there is no shortage of reasons behind it. In other words, ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’ can occur due to various reasons. However, the good news is that there are several fixes to address this issue successfully.
What causes ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’ issue?
Before we look into the fixes, it is better to get a clear idea about the causes behind this. Such an approach will give you a better idea about what you are dealing with. Also, it helps you to address the issue with better understanding. In a nutshell, you know what you do. So, below is a list of common reasons that cause ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’ issue.
- Corrupted FAT or MFT partitions on your hard drive.
- Your external hard drive is infected by dangerous malware such as a virus. As a result, the malware can corrupt the partitions created in the hard drive. In addition to that, such malware can cause damages to all or some of the files stored.
- The respective external hard drive has physical damage or malfunction.
- The troublesome external hard drive was not removed properly from the computer. As a result, partitions and files stored in the same hard drive can corrupt.
- There is something wrong (physical defect, malfunction) with the USB port of the computer. As a result, the computer will not be able to read the data in the hard drive properly.
What are the best ways to fix ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’ issue?
Now, in this section of our guide, we will explain the best ways of addressing this issue. In fact, we basically talk about two methods in this section.
01. Use CHKDSK tool to overcome the issue
When you come across the issue ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable,’ don’t panic. Instead, think of the fact that there is a built-in tool to address this issue. This tool is called CHKDSK (Disk Check Utility). Through this tool, you will be able to see if the disk has some fixable issues.
To launch this tool, you will have to enter the command CHKDSK. To enter this command, you should simply use the command prompt. Through this single line of command, you will be able to scan the respective drive. Moreover, it will fix a variety of issues such as bad sectors, directory errors, lost clusters, etc.
Mentioned below are the instructions you should follow in order to fix this issue.
- First of all, you should launch the command prompt using the start menu of the computer. If not, you can easily enter the text CMD on the ‘Run‘ box and hit enter. Make sure that you run this process in the administrator mode.
- When the command prompt is opened, type the text CHKDSK/f X: in the command prompt. Please note that the letter X should be replaced with the drive letter of the potentially erroneous disk.
- After executing the command, you will see that Windows starts a process to scan the drive. Then, after the scan, it will display the results. In this result, you will be able to see the potential errors.
By the way, click here for the full Raid 0 vs. Raid 1 comparison.
02. Format the faulty device without affecting the existing data
The next solution we offer is formatting the respective hard drive and overcome the issue. One would say that formatting the hard disk will erase all the data in it. If you do it regularly, yes, you will lose all the data in the hard drive. However, a tool like iMyFone AnyRecover can format hard disks without affecting the existing data. Isn’t that good news? Mentioned below are the steps you should take in order to format a hard drive without losing data.
Recover the files using iMyFone AnyRecover
In fact, formatting your hard drive means getting rid of all the data, including the valuable files. So, the trick here is to use a professional data recovery software (iMyFone AnyRecover). With such a tool, you will be able to avoid the frustration of losing all the files prior to formatting. We highly recommend using iMyFone AnyRecover because of obvious reasons. This tool allows you to recover the files using a single recovery session without any hassle.
PS: also, you will find out how to get rid of the error of GPT Protective Partition and the iPhone DCIM Folder Not Showing or Empty on the PC, as well as The Disk You Inserted Was Not Readable by This Computer issues.
Main features associated with iMyFone AnyRecover
In this section of our article, we list down the most notable features associated with iMyFone AnyRecover.
- This software is capable of recovering all the types of files using a couple of clicks.-It comes with an exceptionally friendly user-interface to allow users better convenience and achieve better productivity.
- AnyRecover works with more than 1000 file formats, including images, documents, videos, audios, etc.
- It can recover lost data from your external hard drives faster and easier.
- In addition to external hard drives, it supports internal hard drives, USB flash drives, memory cards, cameras, etc.
- This software allows you to recover files effortlessly regardless of how you lost them. For instance, it can recover intentionally deleted files and files lost due to a system crash. Also, it can recover files that are damaged due to a physical defect, malware attack, or any other reason.
How to overcome ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’ issue using this software.
Now, let’s take a look at the steps to follow in order to resolve this issue.
- 01. As the first step, launch iMyFone AnyRecover on the computer and choose a mode. In this case, we recommend you to choose ‘All-Round Recovery Mode.’
- 02. Now that the mode is selected, you should choose the locations where the lost files were. For instance, you should define folders, hard disks, or removable disks.
- 03. Then, as the third step, you should choose the option called ‘All File Types.’ That is because we assume that you want to recover all the files from the respective drive. After that, you should click on the button called ‘Scan.’
- 04. You can now preview the files and choose what you exactly want to recover. However, if you want to recover all the files, you don’t want to worry much about previewing.
- 01. Now that you have recovered the files from your hard disk, you can proceed to format.
- 02. In fact, you don’t need to use any third-party tool to format your external hard drive. It can be done using two official methods provided by Windows itself. To do this, you can either choose Windows Explorer or CMD. We strongly recommend that you format the external hard drive through Windows Explorer. That is because it is faster and convenient even if you are a novice user.
- 03. Mentioned below are the instructions to format your external hard drive through Windows Explorer.
- Go to ‘My Computer‘ or ‘This PC‘ depending on the operating system you use.
- Then, navigate to the external hard drive that needs to be formatted and rectified.
- Right-click on the respective device and then go to the option called ‘Format.‘
- Now, you should choose the file system. In addition to that, you should choose the option called ‘Quick Format,’ which is located under ‘Format‘ options.
- Then, click on the option labeled ‘Start.’
Conclusion on The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable
Now, that is how to address the error ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.’ As we have mentioned, there are basically two methods to address this issue. If you use the second option (format the disk), make sure that you use iMyFone AnyRecover. It will help you format the disk without causing data loss.
Also, should you have enquiry on Is EaseUS Safe, here is the completed answer for you.