SSD not showing up is not rare in the windows community. In fact, many people reported seeing SSD not showing up errors on their computers. This can happen for various reasons. But there is always a solution to face the crisis in hand. Here we are going to do the same old thing. We would first get to know what the error is? And what can be done to fix it in time?
If you are facing the error, then you must have tried all the possible solutions to fix the error, such as hitting this pc refreshing the page or going to the disk management to see if the SSD installed on not. If you haven’ tried any of that, don’t worry; this article will feature a bunch of methods that you can try to fix the SSD not showing up the problem that you see on your system.
The Reasons for ‘SSD Not Showing Up’
Basically, when you are facing an error such as SSD not showing up with your secondary storage on your computer. Either Windows has not recognized the device being installed on the computer, or some of the features are disabled that can prevent the SSD not showing up on your system. There are other reasons why you do not see your SSD on your computer. Here are some of the reasons why is that –
● Failed Initialization
Failed initialization of the SSD by the windows operating system would trigger the SSD not showing up error.
● Problems with Driver
Storage driver issues can be one of the reasons why you do not see your brand new SSD on your device. The best solution would be to update the driver to the latest version. There will be a discussion on how to do that effectively; how to find the proper version supports both the SSD and the operating version that you are running on your computer.
● The assignment is not done
FOr a device, especially a storage device to be seen on a computer, it has to have a letter next to the title. That is why your local disk spells “Local Disk C” instead of just plain Local DIsk. These letters, for a drive letter to be assigned to a new storage device, it needs to have partitioned first.
● Fault in Cable Management
Wire failures or problems with the connection is one of the most common around computers. It can be easily fixed if you check if the wires are connected to the SSD or both the SATA pins are connected. The same thing goes for the wires that come out of the SMPS to your SSD.
These are some of the reasons you would see SSD not showing up error on your computer.
How to Fix The Error of ‘SSD Not Showing Up’
Here are a couple of methods that you can try to fix the ‘SSD Not Showing’ error. Each of the methods carries multiple steps that you need to follow for a perfect solution without creating another.
Method 1: Checking your SSD Health
While this may not be the best news for the people who just bought the SSD, if you are facing the SSD not showing up, one of the reasons why you see that, because of your SSD health; if your SSD is damaged, then you will not see the partition of the SSD anywhere on the computer, to see if you need to activate the Chkdsk command on your computer; to see if all of your disks are in the perfect condition to handle the load or just to run. Follow the steps below to make that happen:
- First, you need to open RUN, by pressing windows +R, and then write down CMD to open a command prompt or just click on the start button, here input command prompt, open it as an administrator.
- Here you need to input – chkdsk f: /p /r
- This will start the process of scanning your disk, here windows will automatically pick up any error that you are facing with your storage drives, and it will automatically repair them soon.
- If you don’t see any more errors after this, then your problem is solved. If you still don’t see the same error, then you can continue with the next method.
Method 2: Fix ‘SSD Not Showing Up’ by adding Drive Letter
Sometimes the problem with SSD not showing up error on a computer can be coming from the assignment of the letter. Here you don’t have to deal with any third-party software, all you have to do is to assign a letter to your disk space, so your operating system will detect the disk in no time. Follow the steps to learn how to do it on your computer.
- First, as usual, you need to open RUN. Here you have to type in diskmgmt.msc.
- This will launch Disk Management on your system. Here you will have all of your storage devices linked to your computer.
- In the disk management, you can Format, Erase, and Delete your data and HDD/ SSD from your computer. One of the important things you can do is to have the option of assigning a letter to the device.
- If you have installed SSD on your computer, then on the Disk management, you will see your SSD being listed under the volume tab. The only thing we need to do is to make the partition appear on This PC.
- Just simply, right-click on the SSD. Click on Change Drive Letter and Paths…
- Here you will see the option to pick the alphabet of your choice to the SSD. Once you pick the perfect alphabet, you can continue with the next step. Once you hit apply and Ok. you will see your SSD on This PC.
If you are still seeing SSD not showing up, move on to the next method.
Besides, click here to figure out how to reset admin password Windows 10 easily.
Method 3: Initialise the SSD on the computer
If the SSD is not initialized on your computer, then you have to deal with the SSD not showing up the problem on your system.follow the steps below to initialize the SSD on your computer.
- First, you need to open Disk Management, look at the second method, to learn how.
- Once you have opened the Disk Management system. Locate your new SSD on the list. Once you found the right one. You need to Right Click on the SDD, then select Initialize Disk.
- In the Initialize Disk Dialogue box, you will see your disk and the partition style of the disk.
- All you have to do is to check on the disk and then hit ok. This will make your SSD appear on This PC, and will solve your SSD not showing up the problem.
Method 4: Update Driver
An outdated driver for your HDD or SSD will make tons of errors appear on your screen out of nowhere. Here you can get rid of the error by updating the driver to the device.
- Open Device Manager, by typing in the Start
- Once you see the device manager, double click on the Disk drives. Select the disk that you are having trouble with,
- Then right-click > Update driver > Internet option.
- This will download the driver VIA the internet.
Method 5: EaseUS Data Way
If you are facing tougher problem-solving SSD not showing up on your computer, then you can rely on a third-party app to take care of the problem. One of the best apps available in the market to take care of problems that arise with storage devices is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Here you can jump into a deeper setting into hard disk functionality if you are seeing your SSD File System not being supported in your operating system. Then you can use EaseUS to take care of the problem.
Here are steps you need to follow to fix the SSD not showing up error and make it work perfectly on your computer without any future hang-ups.
- First, you need to download EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard on your computer. Faster internet speed will make the download go much faster, but the size of the software is on the limit.
- Once you open up the software, you will have all of your drives listed on the screen. If you don’t see your disk, you can hit a scan to identify the SSD.
- Once the scanning finishes, you can recover deleted files from your SSD by switching with the filtering option.
- Just hit double click to restore the files. You can also change the letter of your drive and assign them, format the disk from scratch.
- If you are facing any sort of error with your HDD or SSD, you can use EaseUS to scan for the problem, then apply the right fix upon it.
Method 6: Recoverit Data Recovery
Here is another great software to solve the SSD not showing up an issue that you are dealing with your SSD. This software will not only help your computer detect the storage device but will also help you recover the deleted files from your SSD straight into your targeted device. If you are feeling that your HDD or SSD is getting corrupted or it is already corrupted, you can use Recoverit Data Recovery to pull the lost data from your disk to come back to life.
The software requires you to follow some simple steps to fix whatever problem that you are dealing with your SSD.
- Download the software on your computer. Launch the software.
- Connect the SSD to your PC. Recoverit will detect the SSD and will let you know what kind of things you can do with the drive.
- Select your drive, then click on Start. This will start the option for scanning after the scanning is done, it will show you all the deleted files in the SSD through the app, the only thing you need to do is select the file and hit restore.
- You can select the destination of the recovery directory. Or you can plug in an external device to save the data.
EndNote About ‘SSD Not Showing Up’ Error
Here are all the solutions to SSD not showing up on the computer problem. As you know by now, there are plenty of reasons why this error occurs on a computer. That doesn’t mean finding the perfect solution to the problem is impossible, the best thing you can do is to run through all the methods written above, to check out one box after another so you can get the solution that works for you. Make sure to follow all the steps, so you don’t have to go through the same process over again.