It is not easy to share or transfer large-sized videos over email or the Internet. In this case, you will have to reduce video size online with the help of professional tools. If you want to reduce video size online, you will have to change any parameters like the frame rate, video codec, video bitrate, video resolution, or even have to cut down some unwanted parts. Here, let’s talk about some methods to reduce video size online, all for free!
Part 1: Ways to reduce video size online
It is possible to reduce video size online without having to download any additional software. You will find a lot of tools online. However, it is important that you choose the right ones to get lossless quality files. Here are some of the best online tools that will allow you to reduce video size online:
1. Online UniConverter (previously Media.io)
Online UniCoverter is considered one of the top tools to reduce video size online. This best URL to MP4 converter program can be downloaded for your computer browser without having to download any software or go through a registration process. This software can support all types of popular formats, and the interface is quite easy to understand and use. After you upload the video files to UniConverter, you can easily change the format, size, and resolution according to your requirements, and download the converted video to your computer system or save it in your DropBox account. Additionally, the video can also be adjusted to fit sites like Instagram and Facebook.
- You can convert any video format and compress MP4 video files
- The interface is very easy to understand
- The tool supports all popular video formats.
- The file size support is very limited.
- The tool will depend on the strength of your network.
VideoSmaller is another great option if you are looking for a program that will reduce video size online. This tool supports all the popular formats and can convert a maximum size of 500-MB file size. For the best video files, you can also make use of the low compression level. This will allow you to maintain the width of the video and also scale it. If needed, you can also remove the audio part to mute the video. To ensure that your video files remain safe, VideoSmaller deletes the videos automatically after a few hours.
- You can scale the video to different sizes.
- You can remove the audio from the video.
- Changing the file parameters is quite limited.
- You cannot upload videos larger than 500-MB.
Clipchamp is considered another great option to reduce video size online quickly and without any complicated process. The tool can reduce the size of formats like MKV, FLV, MP4, etc. You will find four different types of profiles that will provide you with different output videos – animation, Windows, mobile, and web. You can also choose the video resolution and quality of the video manually. If you want to remove the unwanted parts, you also have the trimming option. The final video will be downloaded to your computer or can be uploaded directly on sites like YouTube and Facebook.
- There are several video resizing options available.
- There are many editing and customizable settings for video compression.
- You will need to create an account to use the tool.
- The processed video contains a watermark.
- An Internet connection is needed to use the program.
Part 2: The best way to reduce video size online without losing quality
If you want to reduce video size online without losing out on quality, you can make use of a professional tool like Wondershare UniConverter (previously known as Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate). This tool is packed with a lot of features (more than 1,000) and can easily reduce the size of a video without losing out on quality. You can choose the format, size, bit rate, and resolution of the video so that you can reduce video size online according to your requirements. Additionally, the preview functions will allow you to see the changes that are being made to the file, which will allow you to compress the video better.
Here are some great features of Wondershare UniConverter that makes it one of the best tools to reduce video size online:
- You can reduce video size online according to parameters like quality, formats, video resolution, and bit rate.
- You can compress and convert videos in more than 1,000 different formats without losing out the quality.
- And you have the option to apply effects, add watermarks, rotate, trim, and crop the video.
- The compressing speed is very fast – 30X
- The tool can be used to process, compress, and convert multiple videos at once
- To download YouTube playlists and videos, you can do so by simply pasting the URLs
- You can use a USB cable to transfer the compressed videos from Mac/PC to your Android/iOS devices.
- UniConverter can be used on OS like Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, 10.14, and 10.15 (Catalina), Windows XP, Vista, 2003, 7, 8, and 10
If you want to reduce video size online via Wondershare UniConverter, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
First, launch the UniConverter on your PC or Mac. Tap on the Video Compressor tab, which will open up a new pop-up window. Here, tap on the ‘+‘ button to open a new window to browse and load the video from your computer. You can add them one after another.
Step 2: Choose the right compression settings to reduce video size online
When the new Compress video window opens up, you will see the added file details. If you wish to reduce the file size, you can manually select the resolution, bit rate, and quality as you see fit. Additionally, you can also select the format of the output from the available options. If you want to change the size of the file automatically, you need to move the progress bar to change the compression percentage that will change all the parameters accordingly.
Step 3: Preview the video and reduce video size online
After you are done with the above, you can preview the video and check what the final product will look like. Once you are pleased with the output, please choose the file location to save the reduced video at the ‘File Location‘ tab. Lastly, tap on the ‘Compress‘ button to start the video reducing process.
Part 3: Other free methods to reduce video size online
Apart from the options mentioned above, here are some other great tools that you can use to reduce video size online. These tools are free to use and will not reduce the quality of the video.
Wondershare free video converter is a decent tool that you can use to reduce video size online. It offers video compression and several other features. The tool supports more than 1,000 formats and will process your video files with a watermark. You can change the size of the video by changing parameters like bit rate, resolution, etc. After you download and install the program on your computer, you can reduce video size online quickly. There are two variants of the program available for both Mac and Windows systems.
- The program is free to use.
- Supports a lot of different formats.
- The premium version of the software offers a lot more features than the free version.
- All the processed files come out with a watermark.
The VLC media player is a top open-source multimedia player that also doubles up as a video resizing and editing tool. This platform can import videos from different sources like streaming sites, VCD, DVDs, etc., and can be added to the interface. With the help of VLC, you can reduce video size online by reducing the size of the video format, cutting out the unwanted parts, or making adjustments to the frame rate/bit rate of the file.
- The software can be used for multiple platforms.
- The tool is free to use.
- You can reduce video size online by changing the parameters of the file.
- Compared to other programs, the features here are limited.
- The support for the input file is limited.
3. Any Video Converter
Any Video Converter is a very popular tool available for Mac and Windows systems that will help you reduce video size online. Additionally, the program also has a lot of other features like ripping, download, editing, and video conversion. You can convert more than 100 input formats, and the video will be reduced at a very fast speed. You can reduce video size online by cutting/trimming or changing the parameters like frame rate, codecs, bit rate, etc. Overall, the program’s interface is quite simple, as well.
- The program can be used for a wide range of video-editing features.
- The tool can support more than 100 formats.
- There are no malware, spyware, or ads.
- The tool tries to install unwanted programs during the setup process.
4. Freemake Video Converter
The Freemake Video Converter is a free desktop tool that will help you reduce video size online on your Windows system. You can host a wide range of features like downloading videos, converting videos, and resizing videos. The program can support more than 500 formats, including popular ones like 3GP, MKV, WMV, AVI, and MP4. To reduce video size online, you can also use this software to cut and trim unwanted parts of the video; alternatively, you can also change the file parameters to reduce video size online. This tool also supports adding links from online streaming services.
- The program is compatible with many versions of Windows like Vista, 7, 8.1, 8, and 10.
- The program can support a lot of different formats.
- Their file processing speed is quite slow.
- There are no versions available for Mac.
5. QuickTime Player
For the best tool to reduce video size online for your Mac system, you can use the QuickTime Player. This program has been designed by Apple Inc. and can be used for a wide range of files like pictures, images, and video formats. Apart from playing different types of media files, QuickTime also doubles up as a decent video editing software. You can cut the unwanted parts from the video, and supports a lot of different formats.
- The tool support local as well as online videos.
- The program is simple to use and absolutely free.
- The tool can only work on a Mac system.
- You do not have much control to reduce video size online via changing file parameters.
HandBrake is a great open-source video encoding tool that will help you reduce video size online. It can be used on a wide range of operating systems like Linux, Mac, and Windows. You can change the parameters of the video files like bit rate codec, quality, and frame rate. The tool can also be used on all types of video formats like Blu-ray and DVD.
- HandBrake has multi-platform support.
- There are different types of format support available.
- Settings need a trial-and-error method.
- The only available output formats include MKV and MP4.
There are different methods to reduce video size online, as you have seen above. All these methods and tools will help you reduce video size online while maintaining its quality. Just choose any one of these for your needs and requirements. All the above-mentioned tools will handle all your video files with ease.