PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is one of those blue screen errors that can haunt many Windows users. You shouldn’t worry if you are currently experiencing the same issue as this article tells how to fix it. So, continue reading and learn how to get rid of PFN LIST CORRUPT error on your Windows PC.
What is the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error?
In fact, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error can appear as a result of corrupted PFN (Page Frame Number). The Page Frame Number of the PFN becomes instrumental when your HDD starts to locate the files in it. In other words, PFN is required for the system to navigate the files saved in the physical hard drive. Since the system cannot process the job in the absence of PFN, it will return a BSOD. However, the good news is that you can easily fix this issue without running to a technician. In this guide, we’ve included several solutions to fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (PFN LIST CORRUPT) error and bring your computer to a normal state.
PS: learn more about how to fix ‘Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation‘ error and the blue screen stop 0x0000003b easily.
How to Fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue Screen Error With Ease?
Solution 1: Perform a troubleshoot on your PC or Laptop to fix ‘PFN_LIST_CORRUPT’
If you are experiencing PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error on your PC, start by checking the RAM for potential discrepancies. As you might already know, the RAM of your computer is a crucial part. If the RAM doesn’t work as expected, various errors can emerge, and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error is one of them. So, you should check for the RAM and troubleshoot as the first solution to get rid of this ‘PFN LIST CORRUPT’ error.
- First, launch “Run” utility by using “Windows” + “R” keys on the keyboard.
- Then, enter the text “mdsched.exe” in the appeared dialogue box. Hit the “Enter” key or press the “OK” button.
- You will see a window for Windows Memory Diagnostic now. Now, you can now restart the computer and check for problems. If not, you can choose to check for problems when the computer starts next time.
- Once the computer restarts, you will see a separate window. Make sure that you don’t cancel the process at any stage. Even if the process looks like stopped, you shouldn’t worry about it. The computer will get restarted once the check is 100% completed.
Besides, for the errors like 0xc00d36c4 or ‘Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource‘ , click here for the top solutions.
Solution 2: Perform a diagnose on your hard drive to fix ‘PFN_LIST_CORRUPT’
In some computers, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error can appear because of the bad sectors on its hard drive. In general, hard disks can get bad sectors and other errors when you use it for some time. When the operating system cannot read the specific data due to bad sectors, errors can trigger. To check the status of the hard drive, it is recommended to run a hard drive diagnostic. Mentioned below are the steps you should follow in order to get it done.
- First, you should launch the Search Bar by pressing “Windows” and “S” keys on the keyboard. Then, you should enter the text “Command Prompt” in it.
- Once the respective icon appears, right-click on it and choose to “Run as Administrator.”
- When the command prompt is opened, you should enter the following command and hit “Enter.”
- Now, your Windows system will check the hard drive. If it finds any problems, those will be fixed by the system itself.
Do you get a message asking for your permission to perform the check at the next system restart? If so, you should agree to that by typing “Y” on the keyboard and process. The system prompts a message like that because the corresponding hard drive is in use.
Also, get to know what is ETD Control Center.
Solution 3: Check if the drivers have errors to fix ‘PFN_LIST_CORRUPT’
Microsoft Windows offers a built-in tool to check potentially unusual behaviors on the system. It can check both hardware and software components on the system. In some cases, the errors associated with drivers can trigger BSOD, so it is always better to check it. If any driver has an incorrect configuration, that can lead to some issues on the system. So, we should check and fix the drivers of the system as a method to address this issue. You must remember that this process can cause your system to crash. So, it is strongly suggested that you create a backup of your data safely. As an extra precautionary step, you may create a restore point too. Mentioned below are the steps you should follow to get it done.
- First, launch the search bar. You can use the “Windows” + “S” key combination to do it. Then, type the text “command prompt” and once the icon appears, right-click on it. From the popup menu, you should choose the option called “Run as Administrator.”
- When the command prompt window is opened, you should enter the following text.
- Now, in the appeared window, you should choose “Create Standard Settings.” Then, press “Next” to proceed.
- You can now choose the option called “Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer.” After that, you should click on the button labeled “Finish.” Windows will start to scan for potential errors. You must ensure that all the files you have created are backed up. And you will see a prompt now, and it will ask if you need to restart the computer. Just restart the computer to complete the process.
- When the system restarts, Windows will start to scan all the drivers for any errors. All you should do is to wait patiently. Even if the process takes a very long period, you should wait. At the completion of the process, the computer will be restarted. If it finds any driver, you will be notified so you can fix it.
By the way, here are the best ways to fix the DISM error 87 for you.
Solution 4: Update the drivers of the computer to fix ‘PFN_LIST_CORRUPT’
If your computer has outdated, incompatible, or corrupted drivers, that also can lead to various issues. And, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is just one of them. So, the next solution is to update the drivers and see if it fixes the issue. Windows allows you to update the drivers automatically through a Windows update. If you don’t get the drivers installed with this method, you will have to go for a manual update. In that case, you should go to the manufacturer’s website and download drivers and update them. You can update the drivers on your computer using the following steps.
- Open the “Run” utility. You already know how to do this. Then, enter the text “devmgmt.msc” in the given dialog box. Hit “Enter,” and you will see that a new window called “Device Manager” opens.
- This window will list down all the devices on the computer. You can navigate through the devices and update them. We suggest that you update the display drivers before the others. Then, you should check the updates for other drivers as well.
- To update the graphic drivers, click on Display Adapters. Then, you should right-click on the installed driver and choose the option labeled “Update Driver.”
- Now, you will see a popup dialog box. It will provide available options when it comes to updating the drivers. Choose the option “Search automatically for updated driver software” (which is the first option). If you cannot update the drivers using that method, visit the manufacturer’s website and download corresponding drivers manually.
- Likewise, you should update all the drivers one by one. Then, you should restart the computer. For many users, the problem should be resolved by now.
Solution 5: Disable your Antivirus Application to fix ‘PFN LIST CORRUPT’
In some cases, the firewall on your computer can be a cause behind BSOD. Interestingly, Avast is involved with this ‘PFN LIST CORRUPT’ issue more than the others. According to users, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD error can occur when Avast is involved in manual or automatic action.
The solution for this is to disable or uninstall Avast. If you don’t have installed Avast, you should disable if you have other similar applications and disable them. In most cases, antivirus programs or third-party system maintenance tools can cause such issues. So, disable them and see if the problem persists. If it does, uninstall them and see what happens. If the problem doesn’t go away, you should consider the next solution on this list.
Solution 6: Go for a system restore to fix ‘PFN LIST CORRUPT’
If none of the above methods didn’t return any favorable result, you would have to consider a system restore. Before you do this, however, you must save all the work. Also, it is highly recommended to backup all important data. You must know that all the changes you have done after the last restore point will become unavailable.
Mentioned below is how to perform a system restore to fix ‘PFN LIST CORRUPT’ error.
- Go to Start Menu’s search bar and enter the text “Restore.” Select the first result listed in the appearing menu.
- Press the option “System Restore,” which is under the tab named “System Protection.”
- Now, you will see a wizard that guides you to the system restore. Press “Next” and go through the process.
- Choose the restore point from the list.
- Confirmation of the actions will appear now. If you have saved and created backups of the work, proceed.
Now, you should check if the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (PFN LIST CORRUPT) issue is fixed. For the vast majority of users, this should work. However, if it doesn’t work, you will have to go for the reinstallation of Windows OS.