PCL XL error is not a rare error found on Windows 10 operating system. In fact, this issue is directly related to the printer. You might notice this error when trying to print documents. In fact, this error can trigger particularly when you print more than one document at once. If you have come across the same error, let’s go ahead and find how to solve it.
Well, there can be several reasons for PCL XL error to occur. Instances like corrupted drivers, incorrect settings, and a couple of other reasons can trigger this error.
The nature of PCL XL error
In fact, PCL XL error is a pretty annoying error that can appear after printing one sheet as well. If we decode PCL XL error, the term “PCL” stands for “Printer Command Language.” On the other hand, the term XL means an improved version of the Printer Command Language. So, whenever the respective device becomes incompatible, an error might appear. Also, the same error can trigger a communication failure between the device and PCL XL.
So, you don’t have to change the document to avoid this error. Instead, you can simply go through the solutions below and get through the PCL XL error. You can continue using your printer thereafter. So, read the instructions carefully and see how to fix them.
How to fix PCL XL error
In this part, let’s explain how to fix the PCL XL error. The steps mentioned below can work, and they are very easy. Also, you can try those methods even if you are a complete novice, and let’s proceed.
Besides, if you wonder what is A Wia Driver, here is the comprehensive guide about it for your reference.
Solution 1: Go for a troubleshoot
This is the first solution in order to fix the PCL XL error. If you have faced this error, you can simply try the troubleshooter. Just follow up below simple steps.
- As the first step, you should launch Windows Settings. You can open that window by hitting both “Windows” and “I” keys at the same time.
- After that, please click on “Update and Security” to proceed. Then, click on the option called “Troubleshoot.” It is located on the left side of the window.
- Now, go to the option called “Printer.” Once the printer is selected, click on the option that says “Run the troubleshooter.” Now, the troubleshooting wizard will be open, so it will scan for the potential issues in the system. It will attempt to repair all those errors by the system itself.
If this solution doesn’t work as expected, you can go ahead and try the other solutions as well.
Solution 2: Change the settings of your printer to fix PCL XL Error
If troubleshooting doesn’t work, you could try this solution as well. In fact, PCL XL error can appear due to wrong configuration settings as well. It is a pretty common reason. So, you should check if the settings are wrong and rectify them. You can go ahead and change your printer’s settings by following the steps mentioned below.
- First, enter the text “CP” on your system’s search field. Then, you will see some options; just select the option called “Control Panel” from the appearing icons.
- After opening the control panel, you can see many icons. You should change the “View” to large or small icons. Then, go to “Devices & Printers.”
- If you get more than one printer on the screen, you should find the appropriate one. You can go ahead and perform a right-click on the printer. Then, choose the option that says “Printing Preferences.”
- Now, please go to the tab labeled “Advanced.” After that, you should select “TrueType Font.” You should then choose it to be “Download as Softfont.”
- After that, you should go ahead and click on the option called “Send True Types as Bitmap.” You should select the option labeled “Enabled” as well.
- You can apply the modifications that are made. To do that, you can click on the button labeled “Apply.” After that, you should click on “OK.”
- You can restart your computer and see if the error is resolved by now.
Solution 3: Perform a reinstallation of the printer
If no any methods we talked earlier work for you, try to reinstall your printer. In this case, you should go ahead via the below simple guide and use the run utility to fix PCL XL Error.
- First, open the “Run” utility by pressing both “Windows” and “R” keys together. Then, enter the text “Control” and hit “Enter” so you can open your system’s control panel.
- Now, click on the option called “Devices & Printers.”
- After that, you should go to the printer that experiences the PCL XL error. Then, you should perform a right-click and choose “Delete.” If not, you can click on “Remove Device.”
- After that, you should go to the website of the manufacturer. Then, you should download the most recent driver for the respective printer.
- That’s basically it. You can now reboot the computer and see if the error is persisting on the system.
Solution 4: Update the Driver of your printer manually to fix PCL XL Error
If the driver of your printer is missing or corrupted, that can lead to a PCL XL error. Also, you should note that it is not the only error you’ll as a result of faulty drivers. So, you can fix this error by updating the printer’s driver. If you are not aware of this method, you can go ahead and learn how to do it.
- First, you should perform a right-click on your start menu. After that, please click on “Device Manager.” If not, you can simply press the “Windows” and “X” keys together and choose “Device Manager.”
- Now, on the “Device Manager,” you should choose “Print Queue.” Then, right-click on the faulty printer.
- Select the option called “Update Driver.”
- Now, in the next menu, you should click on the first item to proceed. It should read “Search automatically….“. After that, you should allow your system to identify the most recent driver for the respective device.
- You can also visit the website of the manufacturer. You can then provide the details of the faulty device. After that, you can download the most recent driver for the specific device. Once the driver is installed, you can print those documents once again. This might fix the error.
Solution 5: Update the drivers for the printer automatically
Updating your drivers manually might need some effort. Also, you might face the risk of downloading the wrong drivers or even malware on your device. However, you can avoid all those mistakes and keep guesswork away by using Driver Easy and fix PCL XL Error easily.
In fact, Driver Easy is an excellent application that can scan your computer for faulty drivers and download them. The best thing is that it does all these things automatically. You can save plenty of time and effort by using Driver Easy. If you use Driver Easy, you don’t have to search for drivers by visiting various websites. This application will download the drivers from official sources only and avoid the risks of malware downloads.
There are two options if you intend to use Driver Easy. You can either use the Free version or the Pro version of Driver Easy. With the Free version of it, you will have to update drivers one by one. But if you want to download all the drivers at once with two clicks, use the Pro version. Mentioned below is how you can use Driver Easy.
- First, you should download Driver Easy through their official website and install it.
- Open it and hit the button labeled “Scan Now.”
- Once the scan is completed, you can see a button called “Update” next to each driver. Click on them to update the drivers one by one. However, you can update all the drivers at once by clicking on “Update All.” That will download all the drivers, so you don’t have to worry about anything.
- Now, you can restart the PC so the changes will be saved on the PC.
Solution 6: Rename your printer files to fix PCL XL Error
If all methods we mentioned earlier don’t work for you, try renaming the printer files.
- Go to C:\Window\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3.
- Click on the down arrow located with the “Type” option. Then, select the “GPD” extension.
- After that, rename the GPD files to any file name.
- Save all those changes and restart the PC and the printer.
Solution 7: Update your OS
As you can guess, your Windows OS can cause various errors if it is outdated. So, if none of the solutions have worked so far, try updating your Windows OS. Mentioned below is how you can do it.
- Go to your system’s start menu. Then, click n the icon that appears as a cogwheel.
- Choose the option called “Update and Security.”
- Now, click on the option called “Check for Update.”
- Now, Windows will search for updates and download them.
- After that, just start using the printer.
Hopefully, the above will fix the PCL XL error and get your printer back to normal.