When the computer’s HDMI Port Not Working, that could be a serious issue for any user. A large number of computer users rely on HDMI ports these days to see images, videos, and sound. When they get no sound or image through the HDMI port, they get frustrated and look for solutions. If you fall into that category, we present some practical fixes to get it solved.
The truth is that there is no shortage of individuals who face this type of issue. So, you are not alone with your HDMI port not working. Well, the good news is that there are a couple of fixes to try if you face this issue. Nevertheless, we don’t want you to try all those fixes at once. Instead, just try one fix after the other until the issue gets fixed completely.
Solution #1: Configure the display settings of your computer to fix ‘HDMI Port Not Working’
As of today, many users tend to use more than one monitor on a single computer for various purposes. If you have such a setup and your HDMI Port Not Working, it could be due to display settings. In other words, you are probably using an incompatible display setting on your computer. So, before you move to the other possible solutions, the best thing is to check the settings. If there is something wrong, you should configure it again to fix the display of the screen.
To get it done without any confusion, you should do the following.
First, you should check the display settings of the computer. In order to get it done, you should press the Windows key and “P” on the keyboard simultaneously. Now, you will see a list of display modes on the screen. Mentioned below is a breakdown of the different display modes.
- “PC Screen/Computer Only” – this means, only the first monitor is used.
- “Duplicate” – this notification means that the computer displays the same content on both monitors.
- “Extend” – this means that both the monitors are configured to display an extended view of the desktop.
- “Second Screen/Projector Only” – if this notification appears, that means it uses only the second monitor.
You should put the display on each of those modes and see if the HDMI port is working. Whenever the display settings get corrected, you can see the images on the monitor, which is connected to HDMI.
Solution #2: Update the graphics driver if HDMI port not working
There is a chance that you may experience some issues with the HDMI port if the drivers are incompatible. The same issue can trigger in the event of outdated drivers. If that is the case, the only solution is to update the graphic drivers or reinstalling them.
When it comes to installing drivers, there are two main ways; the manual method and the automatic method. Below, we discuss both of those methods. However, in general, updating drivers manually can be a challenging task for many users.
Option 01: How to update graphics drivers manually
Although this is not the most convenient method, we want to explain it to our users. You should have some computer skills to get this done. Also, you need some patience as well. That is particularly because this method requires you to search for the appropriate driver manually. Then, you should choose the correct driver from loads of other options. Some users end up installing malware when installing drivers manually. So, spare some time to get it done correctly.
In general, the hardware manufacturers keep updating the drivers for their components on a regular basis. This is true with the graphics adapter as well. So, in order to get the most recent driver for your graphic adapter, you should find its website first. Then, you should go to the relevant section of the website to find the drivers. Also, you should find the driver that matches the exact version of Windows you use. For instance, if you have the Windows 32-bit version, find the driver to be compatible with it. Then, you should download the driver and remember the path.
After downloading the driver on the PC, navigate to the installable file. Once you locate it, just double-click on the downloaded file. After that, please follow the on-screen instructions so you can install the driver. When you download the drivers manually, however, be sure to have your antivirus program activated. That is a smart approach to prevent potential threats associated with mistakenly downloaded drivers that may come with malware.
After downloading the drivers, restart your computer and see if HDMI Port Not Working yet.
Option 02: Update the drivers automatically
The most suitable and time-saving method is to update the drivers automatically. In this case, you should use special software, and you can get the drivers updated swiftly. In addition to that, you will never end up installing the wrong driver on the PC through this method. Also, you will never have to spend your precious time searching for drivers across the web. So, all in all, updating the drivers is the most recommended method for any user.
Don’t you have time to waste or skill to find the correct driver and install it manually? Or do you lack patience? Don’t worry. You can get the drivers updated automatically using professional software dedicated to the very purpose. In this case, we will be using a software called Driver Easy.
Driver Easy is an exceptionally friendly tool, even if you are a novice user. If you use it, you don’t even have to worry about the version of the OS of the PC. Driver Easy will detect the OS of the system automatically and find the most appropriate drivers. It always acquires drivers from the official source, so there is no risk involved with this approach. You will never end up installing the wrong or incompatible driver when you use this tool. So, using Driver Easy is the most suitable, time-saving, and productive method for any computer user.
Another impressive thing about this utility is that it updates the drivers automatically, even with its free version. That means you can update your drivers without necessarily purchasing a license. However, with the FREE version of Driver Easy, you can update only one driver at a time. If you purchase the Pro Version, you can update all the drivers of the PC through two clicks. Just follow the below tutorial to update your device’s drivers through Driver Easy.
How to Solve HDMI port not working via Drive Easy
- As the first step, you should download Driver Easy and install it on the faulty PC.
- Now, launch it to see the home screen. After that, you should click on the button labeled “Scan Now.” Then, Driver Easy will perform a scan on the computer for outdated or incompatible drives.
- At the completion of the scan, you should click on the option called “Update All.” This will download all the latest drivers to the PC and install them. If there are any incompatible drivers, Driver Easy will detect them and download the latest versions. However, to update all the drivers at once, you should use the Driver Easy Pro version.
- For questions related to Driver Easy, you can seek their assistance. They are willing to help you through email@example.com.
- Once the drivers are updated, you should check if the “HDMI Port Not Working” issue is resolved.
Solution #3: Restart the devices and reconnect them to fix ‘HDMI Port Not Working’
If the issue is not related to drivers and still your HDMI port not working, try this method. In this, you should restart and reconnect the devices to get the HDMI port working. Just follow up to restart and reconnect the devices.
- First, you should disconnect the HDMI cables from the respective ports.
- After that, please shut down the devices as well. That means you should shut down the devices like computer, TV, and Monitor respectively. Then, you should unplug them from the power outlets as well. If the case is related to a laptop, just remove the battery of it as well.
- Now, leave all those devices for at least five minutes.
- Then, plug back the power cables. Also, the batteries should be plugged back.
- Now, connect the HDMI cables correctly as they were to the respective devices.
- Switch on all those devices.
- Check if the issue is resolved.
Solution #4: Troubleshoot any issues associated with hardware
If none of the above solutions have worked for you, the issue might have triggered due to hardware errors. For instance, it can be your HDMI port, devices, or the cable itself. So, you should do the following to resolve it.
- Get a new HDMI cable and use it in the place of the previous one.
- If that doesn’t work, try the same HDMI connection with a different TV or a monitor.
- If you detect any issues with those devices, you should get them repaired.
So, those are the solutions you should try if HDMI Port Not Working. Good luck!