The free beat making software of 2021 has made the job of making customized music easier like never before. The fact that these hugely helpful tools are free of cost makes the entire deal even more lucrative. Experimenting with a handful of these freebies can actually be fun, and we are sure you want to do that. So here we are, providing a list of the best beat making tools that come for free and give great results.
Music production and beat making software
Beat making is an indispensable component of the Music industry and the core element of electronically generated music. Thus, it is of utmost importance for almost every musician to be capable of quickly producing beats with the required drafting, composing, and editing.
Earlier, music production was a prerogative of those who possessed the expensive music gears. The technological revolution came about a change in the music production industry, and free beat making software is one of the examples. No matter what the function is, drafting any basic musical ideas or creating backing tracks that are royalty-free, these tools can be of great help. All you need is just a PC, laptop, or tablet.
Advantages of the free beat making software
There are several upsides of using these tools over traditional music creation methods:
- You save a lot of money as you no longer have to invest a fortune in getting a manual Digital Audio Workstation or going about renting a Music studio.
- You don’t need to use the paid audio applications anymore, some of which are cheap while the others charge a huge sum of money for some professional tools.
- And you just need to have a PC close to you, and the software can be run on them easily to open a world of free beat creation to you.
- The free beat making software is usually free and open-source that have proven helpful for many struggling users.
- The tools are the best for beginners as they would get the best benefits without having actually to invest anything but hard work.
- You can upgrade your toolset with the paid and more featured apps later once you have gotten the hold of the work so that you don’t regret wasting money if things fail.
Importance of making beats
Beats are very crucial to almost all genres of music like hip-hop and electronic music like techno, EDM, bass, and drum. As we are talking about beat making, this means we are referring to the production of drum beats that have different purposes of serving:
- Practicing the construction of beats and different rhythms
- Recording oneself playing or singing along the beats of any instruments like drum
- Creating the percussion loops for the DJ sets
- Making beats to import them into any other program
- Creating full tracks that have a combination of the melodies, drumbeats, and the other FX elements
A beat making software can help you to do all of the above-discussed tasks. So without any further ado, let us start listing the best free beat making software for you.
#1 Free Beat Making Software – GarageBand
This software is known for the credibility it exhibits in helping out the beginners with free beat creation programs. It is meant for the Mac users exclusively as it was redesigned and tuned up to meet almost all the compatibility demands of the Mac OS newbies. Along with the free status, GarageBand has an exceptional feature set that gives the service of a professional beat-making suite and can create ultimate levels of musical beats.
This is very popular software which that has a community where the newbies can seek any help regarding the tool. Users also share helpful videos concerned with the operating of the tool and beat creation.
PS: Here are the top GarageBand for Android apps for your reference.
- The interface of the software is very clean, sleek, professionally organized. The software will collect the right effects and modules for the option that you choose automatically.
- The sections are easily navigable, and the free beat making software is best for the beginners who have zero experience in online beat making.
- It has a great beat creating a section with a lot of options like a beat producer, sessions drums, blank projects, multi-track recording, electronic, hip-hop.
- The hip-hop beat kit is the best feature of the tool. Its feature of the Smart Drum kit can be easily edited in both the samples of FX and rhythm.
- You can also take help from the best samples available on the tool, along with more than a million sound combinations.
- It also has a lot of other advanced tools like a sound library, advanced plugins, time-stretching, sound effects, beat mix options, full hardware MIDI compatibility, vast automation controls, and sharing through iCloud.
Don’t misunderstand the minimalist interface of the tool with ineffectiveness. GarageBand offers powerful features that can be used to their best potential with some experience.
#2 Free Beat Making Software – FL Studio
FL Studio can be easily regarded as the top free beat making software for all levels of music makers. It is a complete Digital Audio Workstation that will give you the feel of working at a proper music studio. It can be used by the beginners as well as the professionals with a lot of options to experiment with composing, recording, arranging, editing, mixing, and creating high-quality beats music.
The program has a lot of features, and it takes some time to learn using them better, given the steep learning curve. You can take the help of how-to tutorials that the users have made to help others operate the software.
The tool has two versions- free and full. The free version is a trial format with a limited option of MP3 only. The full version can be subscribed with a charge of $199 and $899 for an even more advanced version.
- It has a busy interface with lots of options, but you will get the hang of it with use. Nonetheless, everything is neatly organized, and options can be navigated through easily.
- The free version allows access to the major DAW plugins and other main bundle tools too.
- The different tools of the free beat making software can be easily switched over like track/waverform viewer, mixer, automation, etc.
- The feature of step sequencer is the best part of the software. You can play with ideas, fill the block simply, and the tool will produce a beat that you can edit and customize later.
- The huge numbers of plugins are all awesome with a plethora of features, and they can be easily controlled as well as applied. These are better substitutes for all forms of hardware to make the job easier.
The only con of the FL Studio is that you cannot see the saved projects again. You must have to use the tool and then export the final work by saving it in whatever format you choose. If you save any project, you cannot reopen it later to edit and export. This means that you would have to work in a single session. The beat mixing department is a little limited in terms of functionality.
#3 Free Beat Making Software – Tracktion T7
The fact that the beginners might have some difficulty in using this free beat making software doesn’t make it a weak contender. The difference lies in a lucrative factor that Tracktion T7 is a full-featured DAW that you can use without any cost. The software offers its older DAW versions for free, and it is the best thing to start the beat making experiments with.
- The software is very simple to navigate through, and you can use it intuitively. You can either use the free core version or the latest version with paid tools and extra plugins.
- The interface looks very usable and professional with the steel blue look. The nifty selector allows easu gliding between the features. The tracks can be easily accessed with an attractive layout. The patterns can be automated too.
- There are unlimited basic plugins like FX reverbs, compressors, limiters, EQs, etc.
- Unlimited VST support is the best thing. You can work with any VST over the software or experiment with the free ones.
- The Clip layer mode is an exceptional feature that customizes singular tracks with subtle effects while keeping the original waveform intact.
- You won’t find much difficulty in running the software as the huge info resources in the user forum like training videos, a helpful community, technical support, and good documentation are going to be of great help.
This free beat making software can easily be your choice for the experimental freedom it gives.
#4 Free Beat Making Software – LMMS
The Software goes with the name ‘Let’s Make Music,’ and it does the same so perfectly. Another great software for beginners, LMMS, is open-source and fully free software that gives the feel of working with an advanced and professional DAW. The software has huge popularity among the users, and the community is very helpful to work with. The tool requires a bit of learning for the user to operate it better.
This free beat making software is compatible with a variety of platforms like Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- The software doesn’t put up any limitation or paid barriers to the DAW features.
- The interface of the software is very sleek and laced with vast advanced features. FL Studio is the main inspiration behind the designing.
- The utilitarian interface is a dense one with many small icons that can be easily navigated between once the experience comes in. The functionality of the software is uncompromised.
- The toolbox of the software is very rich and professional with features like a built-in synthesizer, VST instrument bridge, MIDI playback, etc.
- The feature of digital audio designing and production makes it perfect for beat creators.
- The sixteen synthesizers for free is the cornerstone. The ZynAddSubFx synthesizer is a powerful lead, and pad synth sounds creator.
- It also has popular hardware synths emulations life form the Commodore 64, GameBoy 8-bit sounds, Rolan TB-303, etc.
The LMMS is the best in stability and advanced features to let the creativity flow at its best.
#5. Studio One 4 Prime
Studio One 4 Prime does the job of both- recording as well as beat creation. You can experiment with the recorded or sample beats, processors, and professional FX for ultimate beat production.
The unique drag and drop user interface allows the seamless arrangement of the components of the software. You can create a homogenous workflow by dragging, dropping, and combining options together.
- You can create unlimited MIDI and audio tracks.
- It has a smart browser where you can do quick controls over free samples of nearly 1 GB, 9 plugins, etc.
- The professional DAW has features like time-stretching, track automation, comping, musical algorithms, etc.
- The 9 FXs and sampler processors can control a lot of bundled samples and loops.
- The compressors, limiters, EX, and reverbs have advanced functionality.
The only downside of the software is that it doesn’t let any third party VST or Audio Unit that limits several functions for the users.
6. Pro Tools First
Pro Tools First has built upon the features of its previous version by including the freemium model. You can play with your ideas with this leading professional, free beat making software.
- The tool is perfect for basic MIDI arrangements and loop composition. You can make up to 16 MIDI or audio tracks.
- There are over 20 processors and FX of the pro-level with many creative FX, EQs, reverbs, and compressors that feature in the software.
- The UI is very simple and clean, with two major views: track and mix. You can control and edit the automation, samples, beats, midi tracks, waveforms, etc. in Track view while the Mix view works for the controlling over mix levels, input/output, sliders, pan, etc.
- Xpand is the star software synth of the tool with numerous presets and beat plugins.
The only drawback is that you can only compose three beats at a time, and the total limit is 16 tracks.
MuseScore is another great free beat making software for the beginners with an open-source functionality and a complete DAW feature set. You can do much more with it that goes beyond beat creation. The interface takes some time to become accustomed to, and the user community provides great help to the new users.
- The software promotes the creation of traditional music better over new or electronic music.
- The title of the software mentions sheet music, which means that it focuses on the creation of musical notations.
- You can experiment with sheet music creation on this platform along with mixing, editing, and composing. Despite the limited appeal, you may want to try creating a printable sheet of an instrument and play it on some other platform.
You see how various are the free beat making software and exhibit an unlimited scope for the beatmakers. We reviewed the top 7 beat making tools for you, and each of them has individual strengths and drawbacks. However, creativity and professionalism are common in all of them, and you can decide what suits you best for you according to your requirements.