The ID3 tag is the container of metadata stored in an audio file, usually in the format of MP3. It carries information including the track title, the track number, the artist, the release year, the genre and so on. Now in the new information era, it is getting increasingly important for people to have convenient access to the audios with ID3 tags. Besides, ID3 tags can be compatible with most media music players, both the hardware one and software one. And that may be the very reason why ID3 tags are welcomed in all walks of life.
You can find there are two editions of ID3:
1. ID3v1: It allows people to store information within 128 bytes, and that is why it is going to be abandoned in a few years.
2. ID3v2: As it can carry data over 256 bytes, it becomes popular these years. And it supports metadata stored at the beginning of the audio file, which is easier for identifying.
You can edit and even erase such ID3 tags with the help of an ID3 tag editor, or we can call it a tagger for short, whose main feature is to examine and classify the metadata of the audios. This is of importance to edit the ID3 tags, and the major reasons are listed below:
- 1. It can help you to make your music library more organized by renaming the title or modify the genre, so that you can find audio files more efficiently.
- 2. Sometimes, the downloaded music files are anonymous or there are some wrongly written words in the track titles. You should rename them or it will be misleading when you want to find and play it the next time.
- 3. You are allowed to add album covers with a tagger to get nice visual enjoyment.
- 4. It will be pleasing to add your own comments or create your own lyrics of audio files you like, with an ID3 tag editor.
This article will be divided into two parts, and each part is used for introducing the regular ways to edit ID3 tags in the computer with different operating systems including the Windows and the Mac.
As you know from the forgoing that you can edit the ID3 tags with a tag editor, there are three widely commended tag editors for Windows users.
ID3 Tag Editor is a popular application available online, with which you can edit all the ID3 tags embedded in the audios. It is compatible with the ID3 tags both the ID3v1 and ID3v2. It is free of charge and designed for both the amateurs and the experts. Because you can easily get access to this software for different routes, it is a quick and efficient way to edit tags.
1. You are allowed to add your own comments of the audio files.
2. You can add or change the album covers of the audio files.
3. You can enjoy a slide photo show while you play the music on the computer, which are automatically synchronized from the Internet.
4. It is compatible with the ID3v2, so that you can make the tags longer than 256 bytes, which means that you can store more information on it.
5. Both Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit editions are supported by this software.
• Operating Systems Supported: Windows XP or Vista.
• RAM: the Minimum is 256 MB and the Recommended is faster than 512 MB.
• Processor: 500 MHz processor or something faster.
How to Edit ID3 Tag with ID3 Tag Editor
Step 1. Download and install this application.
Step 2. Run it, and read the options showed to familiarize yourself with this application.
Step 3. Click on “Load” on the lower left of the primary window.
Step 4. Find the audio file you want to edit.
Step 5. After you finish the last step, you will find the embedded information of the audio file are extracted and showed in the primary window with detailed labels before.
Step 6. Edit the data you want in the blocks.
Step 7. When you finish it, simply click on “Save” and then “Load” to save the change you have just made.
You can exchange the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags showed on the window by choosing the relevant option on the upper left.
Stamp ID3 Tag Editor is a useful application that helps you modify the ID3 tags of the audio files on your computer. It allows you to edit most of the metadata including the track titles, the artists, the album covers, and the release year, etc. You can get a neat and organized music library with the help of this powerful software.
1. It supports ID3 tags in both the MP3 files and WAV files.
2. It enables you to do batch edit, so that you can save a lot time with it.
3. You are allowed to play the modified audio, before you edit it.
4. You can add your own comments to the MP3 files by your own choice.
How to Edit ID3 Tag with Stamp ID3 Tag Editor
Step 1. Click on the downloading address given above to download the captioned application, and install it to your computer.
Step 2. Now you can see the primary window pops up, find the music library, through the entrance in the left of the window.
Step 3. After Step 3, all the editable ID3 tags of an audio file will be extracted and showed by the captioned application automatically.
Step 4. Then choose the audio file you want to edit in the upper right column, where shows all the files, titles and lengths.
Step 5. Then you can start to edit the ID3 tags showed up under the column we said just now. You are allowed to edit the basic tags and rename the files.
Step 6. If you have to finish every and all the modification you planed, simply click on “Stamp” to save the results.
ID3-TagIT is popular tagger that helps you to edit most ID3 tags in an audio file. The biggest glitter of it is that it supports batch edit which is time-saving. After editing, you can store the edited files in a categorized folder so that you can find the files easily the next time.
1. It is able to edit ID3 tags quickly and simply.
2. It allows you to edit a batch of audio files once at a time.
3. You can store the edited audios in special folders.
4. It is compatible with both ID3v1 and ID3 v2.
5. You can add your own comments to the files, and it supports several comments and genres simultaneously in the ID3v2 tags.
How to Edit ID3 Tag with ID3-TagIT
Step 1. Download and subject software and install it on your computer, using the address above.
Step 2. Run it and you can see all the folders show in the left of the primary window.
Step 3. Find the music library on your computer that carries the desired audio files you want to edit.
Step 4. Now the tags of a music file will be extracted and showed on the primary window by the subject application.
Step 5. Choose an audio file through the column in the upper right.
Step 6. Edit the proper tags.
Step 7. You can see more tags by clicking the “More” button below the basic tags showed.
Step 8. To save the tags, you can tap on “OK” in the lower right of the primary window.
If you are a Mac user, you can refer to the under-mentioned ID3 tag editors, which are all excellent and popular among Mac owners.
Charge: The lifetime purchase may charge you for $20. And there is a free trial version remain effective for 2 weeks.
Yate is powerful tagger compatible with ID3 tags of WAV, MP3, MP4, AIFF and FLAC files. It offers articulate, seamless, and well – organized operation experience.
1. There is an original scripting mechanism named “Action”, from which you can create your own definable actions to make it easier to get a smooth operation.
2. It offers customizable mapping of the FLAC files.
3. It is compatible with both ID3v1 and ID3v2.
4. You can cancel the recent edit results and go back to the last one.
5. You can add several album covers for one audio file.
6. It can work along with iTunes, and import or export files with one another.
7. The functions are powerful and the interface is nice as well as the operation.
How to Edit ID3 Tag with ID3-TagIT
Step 1. Download and install the captioned application.
Step 2. Run it and choose the audio file you want to edit through the column on the left.
Step 3. Edit the tags as you like on the editing area.
Step 4. Click on the “Save” button on the tool bar after you finish editing all the desired tags.
2. ID3 Editor
Charge: A free trial version is usable for 30 days. And the collection version is $15.
ID3 Editor is not a freeware but its function will worth the payment. It is a professional tagger for Mac and it enables you to edit all the ID3 tags of an audio file.
1. You can add your favorite album covers to the audios.
2. It allows you to add tags like “encoded by” and “copyright” which iTunes fails to offer for you.
3. You can create your own lyrics for the songs you like.
4. It is compatible with both ID3v1 and ID3v2.
5. It enables you to do batch edit with it.
How To Edit ID3 Tag with ID3 Editor
Step 1. Download ID3 Editor and install it on your Mac.
Step 2. Run the application and you will see all the folders on your Mac showed in the left column, from where you are asked to find your music library.
Step 3. After your music library is showed in the column, you need to choose the very audio file that you want to edit with this application.
Step 4. Now you can edit the tags on the right of the primary window.
Step 5. Click “Update” on the lower left if you have finished editing.
Step 6. Show your confirmation by tapping on “Yes” on the pop-up box.
Charge: Free of charge.
Kid3 is handy ID3 tagger for Mac users. It is an open source cross-platform editor which can help you to edit all the ID3 tags of an audio file with ease.
1. It is compatible with both ID3v1 and ID3v2.
2. You can do batch edit with this application so that you can save a lot of time.
3. It has some online database supported, including MusicBrainz, FreeDB and Discogs.
4. You are allowed to add lyrics to the music files.
How To Edit ID3 Tag with Kid3 Application:
Step 1. Download and install the Kid3 Application on your Mac.
Step 2. Click on the “File” button on the toolbar to choose the music folder on your Mac, where you store the audio files you want to edit.
Step 3. As all the editable are shown on the primary window, you can start to modify the desired tags.
Step 4. Click “Save” to save the modification that you have just made.