Even though iOS devices feature convincing performance, they tend to experience some troubles at least on an occasional basis. ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘ is one of those issues experienced by a considerable number of iPhone users. Well, this article is just for you if you have experienced such an issue in your iOS device lately. So, read this article on.
Important: Don’t forget to create a backup of your data
We strongly recommend you to create a backup of your existing data before performing any fix on your iPhone. Such an approach minimizes the risk of losing your data if something goes wrong, by any chance. Backups become really important, particularly in the event of restoring your iPhone after a serious fix. So, don’t forget to backup your data before trying any fix on your device.
PART 1: What are the quick fixes to ‘could not activate cellular data network’ on the iPhone?
Before moving into advanced solutions, it is always better to try some quick and basic fixes on the device. Mentioned below are some of the quick fixes you can try. If you are lucky enough, these quick fixes might solve the issue without much trouble.
Quick Fix 01 for ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘
- First, you should go to the ‘Settings’ app and select ‘Cellular.’
- Then, tap on the ‘Cellular Data’ switch and turn it off.
- Go back to the home screen and wait for about 30 seconds.
- Now, go to the ‘Settings’ app and select ‘Cellular.’
- Go to ‘Cellular Data’ and turn it on.
Quick Fix 02 for ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘
- First, turn off LTE settings of the device. To do this, you should go to the ‘Settings’ app and select ‘Mobile’> ‘Mobile Data Options’ and ‘Enable/Disable LTE.’
Quick Fix 03 for ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘
- Connect your iOS device to a trusted Wi-Fi network and wait for about 30 seconds.
Quick Fix 04 for ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘
Perform a restart on your iOS device.
- If you are using iOS 11 or newer version, go to Settings, General and select ‘Shut Down.’
- For iPhone 8 or earlier, press and hold the Top/Side button to see the slider. Then, drag it to turn off the device. Once the device is turned off, press the same button once again to see the Apple logo.
- For iPhone X, press and hold Side button with the Volume up or down button. Once the slider appears, just drag it to turn off the device. Press and hold the side button to see the Apple logo.
- Press and hold the Side button and either volume button until the slider appears
- To force restart an iPhone X, 8 or 8 Plus, press and release the Volume Up button. Then, do the same with the Volume Down button as well. After that, press and hold the Side button to see the Apple Logo.
- To force restart an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, press Side and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. Hold these buttons for about 10 seconds.
- For iPhone 6S and older versions, you should press and hold Home and Top/Side buttons simultaneously. Hold these buttons for about seconds to see the Apple logo.
PART 2: Use 3rd party professional tools to fix ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ without any data loss (Recommended Method)
If the fixes mentioned in PART 01 didn’t work for you, you might need an advanced solution. However, the term ‘Advanced’ doesn’t mean that you have to be tech-savvy. Instead, you can use a sophisticated tool like Tenorshare ReiBoot to repair your iOS device. This tool can address a variety of issues related to iOS devices but not just one issue. For instance, it fixes issues like White Screen, Black Screen, Apple Logo, Stuck on Recovery Mode, Restart Loop, etc. The most important thing about this tool is that it doesn’t cause any data loss.
In this part of the article, we will explain how to repair your iOS device using ReiBoot.
Step 1. Before you start repairing your iOS device, it is mandatory that you download and install this professional iOS Repair tool on your computer. And then connect your iPhone to the PC or Mac.
After that, click the Repair Operating System, which will fix all your iOS problems easily. Once your iPhone is detected, you will see as below.
Step 2. Now, please click Start Repair, then this tool will list the latest iOS firmware to download, download the right one for your iPhone.
Step 3. After you downloaded the firmware for your iPhone, click the ‘Start Repair’ button to recover your iPhone system and repair the ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ issue for you.
2. Use iMyFone Fixppo to repair ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ in 1-click
iMyFone Fixppo is another professional tool which can help to fix this annoying issue for you without affecting data on your iPhone. It does this job automatically to save time.
Key features of Fixppo:
- Locate the issues with your iPhone/iPad using its independently developed technology & get your device back to work normally in just simple clicks with no data loss;
- Repair all software errors automatically, including iPhone being stuck in recovery mode, reboot looping, black screen and even the issues caused by the iOS update;
- Fix problems on all iPhone, including the iPhone XR/XS Max/XS;
- Offer 100% success rate when repairing your iOS system issues;
- Let’s you enter/exit recovery mode easily.
Simple steps to fix Could not activate cellular data network’ issue via Fixppo
Step 1. Please download and launch iMyFone Fixppo. Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac.
Then choose the Standard Mode as below.
Step 2. Tip the ‘Next’ to continue. Please unlock your iPhone if it’s locked. Then Fixppo can detect your iPhone.
Step 3. Now, iMyFone Fixppo will provide the firmware for your iPhone automatically. Please choose the right one and download it.
Step 4. Once the firmware downloaded, click the ‘Start’ button. The software will locate and fix your iOS issues that cause ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ problem properly. Please make sure your iPhone connected well till the job done.
When the whole process is done, your iPhone will restart, and the issue of cellular data must have gone.
PART 3: Reset the network settings
This is another basic fix that may work for some users. Mentioned below are the steps to do it.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ app.
- Go to ‘General’ and select ‘Reset.’ Tap on the option called ‘Reset Network Settings.’
- When prompted, provide the password to proceed.
- At the completion of the process, restart the iOS device, and connect to the data network.
PART 4: See if there is a Carrier Settings Update
In certain cases, ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ issue might occur due to carrier settings issue. In that case, you should update the carrier settings manually. Follow the steps mentioned below to get it done.
Connect the device to your Wi-Fi network as the first step,
- Go to the ‘Settings’ app and select ‘General.’ Then, select the ‘About’ option as well. If there is an update, you will see the notification now.
- To confirm the carrier settings, go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘General.’ Then, go to ‘About’ and select ‘Carrier.’
Removing and reinserting your SIM card is another handy method to check the carrier connection.
So, you can try to re-insert your SIM card to get the carrier connection refreshed. Also, if you are using a new SIM card, make sure that the carrier settings are downloaded properly.
PART 5: Perform a factory reset
If none of the above solutions work, you should go for a factory reset. In fact, you should consider this solution as a last resort. This method will erase all the data (including personal information as well as network settings). Therefore, we strongly suggest you create a backup of your data before performing this method. Here’s how to do it.
1) Go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘General.’ Go to ‘Reset’ and choose ‘Reset All Content and Settings.’
2) At the completion of the process, your device will restart.
3) Go to ‘Set Up Your Device’ on the main screen.
4) Select ‘Restore from iCloud Backup.’
5) Provide the Apple account credentials to access the backup files and restore the data.
6) Connect the iPhone to your computer and open iTunes.
7) Select the ‘Summary’ tab and go to ‘Restore Backup.’
At least one of the above solutions should fix ‘could not activate cellular data network‘ issue. However, if the issue is persisting, we recommend you to contact Apple Support as the only solution left. Also, you can try the best fix for cellular network not available problem.