Are you wondering why and how your Chrome bookmarks disappeared? If so, you may go ahead and read the following article to learn how to bring them back.
In other words, this article is composed of explaining how to bring back the disappeared bookmarks on Chromebook.
You made a note to go back and check out all of the important links that you bookmarked. But when you launch the Chrome browser at this point, you notice that none of the bookmarks exist there. It’s possible that the issue is as simple as you trying to find them in different directories.
With that said, verifying that you’ve looked in the right place is the first step toward solving the problem. In fact, you should do that before proceeding any further. After that, you will be able to recover your valuable bookmarks with the assistance of the fixes provided below.
This is the case even in the event that you delete those bookmarks inadvertently. Also, you can try these solutions if you experience problems with your browser (Chrome) itself.
Besides, Google Chrome Task Manager is a pretty handy utility that gives a good idea about the system’s performance. Here is the full guide about it.
What Are the Reasons for Chrome Bookmarks Disappeared?
There are different reasons for Chrome bookmarks to get disappeared. Mentioned below are the most notable reasons.
- A recent update took place on your Google Chrome browser.
- You have bookmarked links on a different browser.
- You are using a browser other than Chrome.
- You have turned off synchronizing option when the Chrome profile is in use.
- The bookmarks are deleted from the system.
- You have uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it.
- You are mistakenly searching for bookmarks on a different profile in Google Chrome.
Also, are you facing this error – this plugin is not supported in Chrome? If yes, here are different ways to fix this error easily & quickly for you.
How to Fix the Chrome Bookmarks Disappeared Issue?
As you have learned, there are many different reasons for your Chrome bookmarks disappeared. That said, we have included several different solutions to address all these situations effectively. So, let’s learn what they are.
Solution 01: Recovering Bookmarks Using Your Hard Disk
This solution is one that is not only more practical but also considerably simpler to implement. In this section, you will retrieve the bookmarks that were stored on your system disk.
Before beginning this process, ensure that all Chrome windows that are now open have been closed. So, Chrome won’t reopen. If you’ve already closed Chrome, you should leave it in this state. That’s because it will delete the previously saved copy of the same backup the next time you launch Chrome.
- Press Windows and R keys together so you can open the “Run” utility to proceed.
- Enter the text;
(Please note that “XXX” should be replaced by your username of the OS to accomplish this task).
- You will now be able to find two different files called “Bookmarks.bak” and “Bookmarks“. The one that comes with the extension “.bak” is the most recent one. In fact, that is the backup created automatically by Chrome when you opened it last time.
- Now, you should close every running instance that comes with the name Chrome. You should rename both of those files to proceed.
- When it comes to renaming, you should change the name of “Bookmarks” to “Bookmarks.old”. Also, the file called “Bookmarks.bak” should be renamed to “Bookmarks”.
- Now, you will be able to recover bookmarks using the file labeled “Bookmarks“.
Solution 02: Restore It with HTML
Some users tend to export bookmarks in a timely manner as a general habit. If you have done that, that’s good news!
Well, if you fall into that category, all you need is to use that HTML for restoration. That bookmark file can be used to restore those bookmarks back to Chrome without any issues.
Mentioned below are the steps that should be used to restore existing bookmarks with the help of HTML files.
- First, you should click on the 3-dotted icon that appears on top of the Chrome Window.
- Then, you should select “Import Bookmarks & Settings“. It appears as a submenu on “Bookmarks“.
- Now, you should tick that checkbox located in “Favorites/Bookmarks“.
- You can navigate to the destination of the file and import the respective HTML file.
- Now, all you need is to click “Open”.
Solution 03: Restore Your Bookmarks Using a Different Browser
In some cases, some users have stored the exact bookmarks on a different browser. If you are one of those, you have good news; you can simply import them to the Chrome browser.
Simple steps you should follow to do that:
- First, you should click on the three-dotted icon located at the top of the window.
- After that, you should select “Bookmarks” and then select “Import Bookmarks & Settings” to proceed.
- Select the checkbox option located on “Favorites/Bookmarks“.
- As the last step, you should select “Browser“, through which your bookmarks should be imported.
So, if your Chrome bookmarks disappear, but those bookmarks are stored in a different browser, try this solution.
Solution 04: Restore Your Bookmarks with the Assistance of the Browsing History
The history of your browser will remain untouched (unless you delete it purposely) even if you close it. In general, the browsing history comprises each and every web page that is visited during the past period.
In fact, most browsers retain such data in their history for at least several months. So, if you see your Chrome bookmarks disappear, this option would be an ideal one to try.
So, let’s go ahead and learn how to create new bookmarks using the browsing history in Chrome.
- First, you should open “Chrome”.
- Then, click on the three-dotted icon that appears toward the top of (the right-hand side) of Chrome.
- After that, you can click on the option called “History”.
- Now, you should open the URLs that you wish to save as bookmarks on Chrome. Then, you can bookmark them simply by clicking the icon that appears as a “star”. You can find this icon in the address bar.
Please note that this method will not be effective if you have opened all those URLs in incognito mode. Also, you cannot find those URLs if the history is already cleared for some reason.
Here are some frequently asked questions about this matter.
What Are the Steps to Follow if You Want to Back Up Your Chrome Bookmark Files?
It is always easy to create a backup file of your bookmarks if you follow the steps below.
- To begin, you should click on the icon that appears as three small dots. That will open up a menu.
- After that, you should select “Bookmarks” and then go to “Bookmark Manager” to go to the next step. You can find this option just next to the search bar.
- A new window will appear now. All you need is to select the option called “Export Bookmarks“.
- That’s it. You can easily save those files in any drive or folder as you wish.
Can You Transfer Bookmarks to Firefox from Chrome?
Yes. However, to do so, you must first import any backup that was exported in HTML format.
Do you have backups saved in more than one HTML file? If so, the latest copy is likely to have the bookmarks that you need.
Is It Possible to Bookmark Several Different Tabs?
Well, Chrome comes with a feature that allows you to bookmark either one tap or several different tabs simultaneously. If you wish to know how to do and bookmark several different tabs, here’s how to do it.
First, you should find and click the “three-dotted” icon in the main window of the web browser. Then, you should select the option called “Bookmarks“. After that, select the option called “Bookmark All Tabs“. That’s it, and that will bookmark all the open tabs.
Is It Possible to Synchronize Bookmarks Between Every Device I Use?
By signing in with your credentials for your Google account, the existing bookmarks will sync across your devices. To access your saved bookmarks on a new device, simply sign in with the Google account you used previously.
So, those are the practical solutions you can try if your Chrome bookmarks disappeared. If you have more doubts about it, please let us know.